Scuba Shack's Boat Get Wet Sinks in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I came across this thread because I was trying to fiind out why Scuba Shack's website said closed until further notice. I am going to be in Key Largo the first week of January and lookiing for a dive shop. The reviews on Trip Advisor were good so I was interested. Here are my thoughts on the situation. First of all, my condolences to the family and friends of the lady that died and my prayers go out to all that were involved because this will be an incident that they will want to forget but will not be able to for a long time.

Second, there seems to be some axes to grind and some serious giant strides into speculation of what happened. NOBODY wanted this to happen. I'm not trying to defend anyone who may have been negligent, but if they had known this was going to happen then surely they would have acted differently. It doesn't help the victims, but most if not all of us have ignored something that we thought minor at the time that ended up biting us in the butt later on. I'm just grateful that (knock on wood) none of them have taken that big of a hunk out of my rear end. As for the real cause, it will probably come out over time and the ones that GUESSED right will get absolutely nothing for saying "I told you so." A boat sunk and a family will be remembering a funeral for many Christmases to come.

Lastly, maybe some of us will learn something. I have been one of the ones setting up my gear rather than listening to the briefing on the boat. We are amazingly redundant about emergency dive procedures that very few of us will ever use, but it gives those that do considerably better odds at navigating the situation successfully. I believe that in the future I will probably try to consider what I might need to do if an emergency arises aboard a boat that I am on. Maybe some of the instructors out there will increase the amount of dicussion on boating safety that they put into their scuba classes even though it is not specifically part of the class. Hopefully, something will be learned from this tragic lesson. Take what you can from the facts and leave the gossip to the soap operas.

suprttpr you do not have to worry if scuba shack will stay in business cause it works like this.

George was famous man in a fishing village with a bunch of canals. George built all the boats in the harbor and was known as George the boat builder. George built all the houses and was known as George the house builder. George built all the bridges in the fishing village and was known as George the bridge builder.

F%#$ one sheep and that is all anyone remembers

Now when CSI gets done with the investigation it will be on record!!!!!

He even added 3 extra diver's so we had 8 diver's and 3 crew onboard.... We were promised for months before arriving 6 pack 6 pack...
If it were me I would be contacting the investigator and letting them know the situation in the past. It shows a blatant disregard for rules that are put in place to save lives. There should be someone on this board that can PM you who you should contact.

I came across this site while searching for more information on the recent death of Aimee Rhoads. Aimee was not an experienced diver; in fact, this was her first-ever dive. For those who may be interested, her husband has started a blog chronicling how he and their three-year-old daughter are dealing with shock of Aimee's death:

Missing Aimee

The family was on vacation in the Keys with Aimee's mother, brother and sister-in-law to commemorate the one-year anniversary of Aimee's father's death (one year and a day prior to her death). It is an absolutely heartbreaking situation.

I came across this site while searching for more information on the recent death of Aimee Rhoads. Aimee was not an experienced diver; in fact, this was her first-ever dive. For those who may be interested, her husband has started a blog chronicling how he and their three-year-old daughter are dealing with shock of Aimee's death:

Missing Aimee

The family was on vacation in the Keys with Aimee's mother, brother and sister-in-law to commemorate the one-year anniversary of Aimee's father's death (one year and a day prior to her death). It is an absolutely heartbreaking situation.

Incredibly tragic..

Incredibly tragic..

When the boat started flooding the Captain asked the passengers to move forward in the cabin in order to balance out the weight. That's why Aimee and Amit were in the cabin.

The M/V "Get Wet" was fitted with a hatch on a hinge on the after deck. When the transom flooded, the hatch swung up, pinning the door to the cabin shut, and trapping Aimee and Amit inside.

How the others escaped, I don't know.

The "Get Wet" had no hull insurance. The liability insurance of Key Largo Scuba Shack is unknown. Jacobs Aquatic Center probably has liability, but they will rely upon the PADI release that Aimee and Amit likely signed before beginning their instruction. In my opinion the release can be defeated.

Trapped in shallow water even worse, if only could get out. Of course had to listen to the cap'n.

This just gets me more sick to my stomach. A green captain (not his fault) had folks move to the most unsafe location on the boat. Although lack of experience is not his fault, still a case for gross negligence. I would be truly interested to know if he actually served his time, or if he was a paper tiger like so many in the keys.....

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom