Scuba Shack's Boat Get Wet Sinks in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first idea was that maybe the Captain thought there wasn't an extradition treaty between the Bahamas and the USA and was making a run for it. He wouldn't be the first to do that.

Has this story shown up anywhere else? I haven't seen anything. I would think it would be reported elsewhere given that it is reportedly the same captain involved in the Get Wet sinking. What's up??

Agree you would think this would be a major component of the story. If this this doesn't meet the definition of BIZARRE I'm not sure what would.

My first idea was that maybe the Captain thought there wasn't an extradition treaty between the Bahamas and the USA and was making a run for it. He wouldn't be the first to do that.

My guess is he was just going where the money was....

the boat owner was likely paying him to move the boat to Bimini.

Now... the boat could have been moved to Bimini to keep it from being seized in court proceedings (lawsuit), but that would take months/years to work its way through the system.

more likely was that with the sinking of the first boat which essentially closed their Key Largo operation, and them opening a dive shop in Bimini, they were just going ahead and moving it over there to support it. (of course I don't doubt they thought about "lets go ahead and get it on out of the country "SOON" )

OK, when I logged on and saw new posts in this thread this morning, I can say for certainty that I did not see this coming. "As The Keys Turn..." and so are the bubbles of our lives is an understatement. Can this story get any weirder? I am betting my money on yes at this point. Mercy, what a mess.

I just found this thread about 2 hours ago read entire thing... I wish to say I hope the daughter never needs to worry about money her entire life would much rather this be a best selling book and not a true life story. I hope the people that are to blame are brought to justice in some way.

I see the GW at Pot Largo Marina, high and dry. My guess is the owners don't want much to do with it at this point. Attorneys for the victims are probably waiting for the USCG investigation and a subsequent seach for insurance and assets. This is a very long ways from being resolved.

edit- you know something, that is one crappy looking boat if you ask me. With all the great ops in the Upper Keys with Corinthians, Newtons and Marine Management boats, you would think that the visiting divers would be a bit more cautious about who they sign up with.

Last edited:
edit- you know something, that is one crappy looking boat if you ask me. With all the great ops in the Upper Keys with Corinthians, Newtons and Marine Management boats, you would think that the visiting divers would be a bit more cautious about who they sign up with.

I would say a large number of divers,especially new divers, have no idea what a good dive boat looks like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom