Scuba Store NY Manhattan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex Gunpowder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, in November I'll be on my way to Bahamas and I will have some time in NY while waiting for my another plane.
Are there any well-equipped scuba stores in Manhattan (I don't think I will have time to go anywhere further)?
I'm thinking about getting some rushguard. I know that there's a Leisure Pro but not sure what they have in their local store.

From what airport? - don't look at just the distance but the traffic,,,google it for a time estimate.

Also they close early on Friday - 2PM and aren't open on Saturday if you're flying then

I don't believe the LP store is very big either - Store | LeisurePro.com shows an interactive picture.
I don't see any clothes....

Check to be sure but I think you can order stuff and have it brought/held there for pickup - their main warehouse is actually in NJ - a rep posted once.

Are you flying direct fron NYC to the Bahamas? In case you can route thru Ft. Lauderdale - there's a big Divers Direct store on I-95 a few minutes from the airport. Maybe the largest dive store I've ever seen - we probably spent n hour there once just looking around.

Divers Direct | Stop Into One of Our Six Florida Dive Shops for Great Selection of Top Brand Name Scuba Gear. Powered by GearUp Experts. - Divers Direct

FLL is also a much smaller airport and shouldn't be too busy.

Last edited:
LP must still stock a lot of stuff in the NYC store. You ask for it and a dumbwaiter delivers it from another floor. So yes, the showroom itself is not massive, but the stuff is there. November looks good for holiday closings, but do pay attention to the early Friday closing and closed all day Saturday!

They own the building they're in and have tons of stuff on site that isn't in the showroom. If they don't have it on site, they can get it from the warehouse usually in less than a day. There is no other store store in Manhattan that comes close re in-stock and best- prices. The next closest store of this magnitude would be DRISS in Illinois. That's a long walk and there's no subway from Manhattan.

Long way to go for a rash guard. If you are diving with Stuart Cove he has a big selection.

I was very disappointed with the selection of rash guards last time I visited LP! Just not enough tin L and XL?

I wouldn't travel into NYC just for this (cab ride one way will be around $80.00 and train to the plane too complicated for a tourist)...I would order online or as suggested, wait till you get to SC....I bought a rash guard from them a few years back....

Oh, as a side...I just visited Poland a few weeks back....I was in Berlin and needed to check off another country, so we took a day ride :)

Hahaha I don't want to go to Manhattan just for rush guard and then back to airport (Newark btw.) :).
I will have 20 hours time between the flights so I will be there anyway for sighseeing and sleeping. Also it would be nice to have a chance to try rush guard on instead of ordering and shipping back because of wrong size.
Ok so I guess I can give them a try yes? I will be in NYC on Thursday, landing about 1 PM. And Friday morning I have another flight directly to Nassau. I'm will not dive with SC, but take liveaboard with Blackbeard's Cruises.

roughly where are you staying? (not a stalker...........mmm that's probably what a stalker would say)

Back
Top Bottom