Scuba Tank Comparison Chart???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuSexFulDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Is there a Scuba Diving Tank comparison chart? Which consist of each tanks specs, like PSI, Cubic Feet, Weight, Height, Diameter, Brand, Model #s and such, and what ever other information or ratings which each tank size has?

For instance, my girlfriend use less air than I do, and I do not want to get low and air and cause her to cut her dive short, also I want to get her a tank that do not weigh as much and not as tall, but has the most cubic air as possible.

Is there such a thing as having a tank too big or a tank, that holds too much air? LOL

Today I saw some 120s, they were bigger in diameter, but the LDS employee told me that I would not use that much air up on shallower dive.

Is there a particular brand that is better than the rest?

Is there certain color tanks that last or look better over time? I was told paint on them can cause a shorter lifespan of a tank, because the salt can get under the paint and eat away at the metal.

Are the tanks that are coated in the stainless steel type of coating better than a painted tank? I prefer a colorful tank.

What are the pros and cons of Steel vs Aluminum tanks?

Also are the shorter size tanks better when trying to get neutral boyancy, and do they create less drag in the water?

I appreciate all info regarding scuba tanks brands and specs. Thanks

http://www.techdivinglimited.com/

Scroll down to scuba cylinder spec chart.

Another one is here.

http://dive.scubadiving.com/html/200010_tankchart.html

Steel tanks allow you to take some weight off of your belt, and can weigh less than aluminum tanks out of the water.

Color is a personal choice, and AL tanks have more options here. Most steel tanks come either painted white or galvanized metal finish. Any paint on an AL tank will eventually start to bubble, but if you take care of it and don't scratch it, that time could be many years.

I remember not too long ago you were talking about getting your OW C card in September. First off I hope you have done this, if you have congrads! Your question is answered, but I have a question. Why would you want your own tanks at this stage of your diving? What you need to do is dive and dive some more. Getting a larger tank is a convaluted way of trying to solve a problem. Again, if I remember right, your gf has been diving for about 10 years (?). Of course she is going to have better air consumption than you - for now. What you should be searching for on SB is how to improve your SAC, improving buoyancy, trim, feeling comfortable in the water, etc. And working on this. After you get this under control, you can then look at tanks with a lot more knowledge and a SAC from probably around 1 to maybe a .4 or so. Your girlfriend may have to suffer with a few shorter dives till you get this under control.

dannobee:
http://www.techdivinglimited.com/

Scroll down to scuba cylinder spec chart.

Another one is here.

http://dive.scubadiving.com/html/200010_tankchart.html

Steel tanks allow you to take some weight off of your belt, and can weigh less than aluminum tanks out of the water.

Color is a personal choice, and AL tanks have more options here. Most steel tanks come either painted white or galvanized metal finish. Any paint on an AL tank will eventually start to bubble, but if you take care of it and don't scratch it, that time could be many years.

What is the definition of "real weight" in the Scubadiving chart? Thanks!

Sharky1948:
What is the definition of "real weight" in the Scubadiving chart? Thanks!

Looks like they took the tanks and set them on their own scale. The weight empty is the manufacturers' reported weight. The real weight must be Scubadiving's weight.

Dive-aholic:
Looks like they took the tanks and set them on their own scale. The weight empty is the manufacturers' reported weight. The real weight must be Scubadiving's weight.

That's what I was guessing, given the numbers. Strange there would be a difference though.

I got HP steel 119s for myself and 100s for my wife. She is smaller. We end our dives at about the same residual pressure.

Especially with our SAC rates as new divers, and the colder water, I would not want smaller tanks. It takes long enough to get to a dive site, suited up and in the water, I am grateful for every minute more my tank provides.

Back
Top Bottom