Scuba Tank for silent DIY shop compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not just buy a small compressor from a hardware store?
Also, he is in Hawaii. Shipping for items like that are prohibitively expensive.

Thats what id like to do with a scuba tank. Those compressor tanks are rated at like 150 psi. The fridge compressor could easily go to 300 psi. Which I might be needing for short periods of time.

Also, he is in Hawaii. Shipping for items like that are prohibitively expensive.
I mean we do have hardware stores here, its not just coconuts and grass skirts. Hell we have craigslist as well and theres a bunch of old steel air compressor tanks on there.

Yeah a video to give some idea to some and some tips

Yeah It was either that or a picture of me riding a shark

full.jpg

I mean we do have hardware stores here, its not just coconuts and grass skirts. Hell we have craigslist as well and theres a bunch of old steel air compressor tanks on there.
Buddy of mine bought a shop compressor from Home Depot, 40 gallon tank and pancake compressor. What I would pay $89 for in Key West, he paid over $300 for.

I was living in Hawai'i the early 80's, and on Johnston Island most of the '90's. I get how Hawai'i works, thanks.

OK, it's for shop tools. Which shop tools? The problem with shop tools is that they not only need pressure, but also volume. A 3/8" air ratchet can consume 5 cfm@ 120psi. A great 1/2" ratchet will need 7 cfm and something like a DA sander can go all the way up to 20 cfm. I just don't see a compressor off of a refrigerator producing more than a one or two cfm and that free tank is probably less than 2 cf of buffer. OK, so a brad nailer uses a half cfm, so that's limiting you to that and filling a tire or two.

OK, it's for shop tools. Which shop tools? The problem with shop tools is that they not only need pressure, but also volume. A 3/8" air ratchet can consume 5 cfm@ 120psi. A great 1/2" ratchet will need 7 cfm and something like a DA sander can go all the way up to 20 cfm. I just don't see a compressor off of a refrigerator producing more than a one or two cfm and that free tank is probably less than 2 cf of buffer. OK, so a brad nailer uses a half cfm, so that's limiting you to that and filling a tire or two.
Great point! I'll take that into consideration!

Buddy of mine bought a shop compressor from Home Depot, 40 gallon tank and pancake compressor. What I would pay $89 for in Key West, he paid over $300 for.

I was living in Hawai'i the early 80's, and on Johnston Island most of the '90's. I get how Hawai'i works, thanks.

$89 sounds pretty good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom