Scuba Tank Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to add a bit of real life info... I recently bought 3 old (one was first hydro'ed in 1979) , used AL80s which I discovered were stored for 8 years full. Just for fun I tried a couple hits off one of them and it tasted just fine. I brought them in for hydro and vis and they passed no problem. Not a single blemish inside.

Might as well keep em full and ready to go.

I have over 30 that are full 99% of the time and have been that was for over 30 years. We have never had an aluminum fail a hydro but this year our three remaining steels did fail.

Gary D.

I stored four in my hot garage for 10 years full (not recommended and could have ended ugly). The part that amazed me the most was that every tank still had at least 2800 psi in it. In the end my little time bombs were too old to get hydroed and had to be retired.

More worryingly, for the above to be true it would have to go against thermodynamics which isnt usually negotiable.

Thermodynamics: It's not just a good idea, IT'S THE LAW.

Breakin' the Law! Breakin' the Law!

I stored four in my hot garage for 10 years full (not recommended and could have ended ugly). The part that amazed me the most was that every tank still had at least 2800 psi in it. In the end my little time bombs were too old to get hydroed and had to be retired.

The heat in your garage, even in FL is hardly a risk.

Too old to be hydro's, how is that?

Unless you are doing a lot of cave fills a tank should always be within the plastic range of elongation of the steel or aluminum.

We are seeing the problem of sustained load cracking on the old aluminum alloy. However, I have to question if it is really sustained load cracking or inter-grandular corrosion along the grain boundaries near the neck. There are a few videos of tanks being made that show how the neck area is formed from the pressed cylinder. This forming process is very similar swaging of aircraft aluminum control rods where we bring a larger diameter cylinder to a smaller diameter. In the process, the metal gets folder over onto itself and stretched. These fold lines can be a source of the cracking.

One of the many things I have against the eddy current testing systems that is now used is that it only checks the threads and not the neck area just below them where these folds may initiate the cracks. To do it properly you would need to use a medium sensitivity Fluorescent Penetrant and a black light. But then you would have to clean all of the tanks tested to remove the testing oils and the shops would refuse to do it.

Back to the tanks, a tank at rated pressure is well below the yield range and should be able to withstand that load indefinitely. Otherwise, all of those steel and aluminum pressurized storage tanks we see all over the place would be failing. Ever think about how many welding tanks are in garages and medical O2 storage tanks are out in elderly peoples homes and knocking around in their car trunks that are at pressure for years? Are they blowing up?

The one difference between a SCUBA tank and these other tanks is that a SCUBA tank gets wet and is subject to a higher corrosion potential. Corrosion pits are the enemy

The solution is to clean your tanks, dry them, and don’t get them filled at a questionable dive shop or on a boat where water can enter into the tanks. The yearly visual inspection is the dive industries response to this higher potential. Also, don’t store tanks on a concrete floor for a long time where they can get damp and stay damp for months. Put them on a piece of plywood or on a raised pallet so that they are on a dry surface.

Keep in mind that a single occurrence is not a trend, it is only a data point and you have to have all the information to understand that occurrence.

As for corrosion removing O2 from a cylinder, if you have any question, the check is very easy, just use a O2 meter as you would for checking NITROX.

If the reading is less then what is supposed to be in the tank, dump it and do a visual.

If it is the same as what is in the tank, dive it.

If you get a higher reading, well then try a new meter or recalibrate the one you are using.

The danger temp for most aluminum alloys in the 6000 series is between 225 and 250F. Some 6000 alloys are higher, none are lower.

Above those temps the alloy will start to age and change the heat treatment condition which is the "T6" you see after the alloy on aluminum tanks. It is this change in heat treat that is of major concern for tank failure from temperature. The danger point for steel is much higher at 800 to 1100F.

But 225F is not reached in your garage, in the trunk, or on a boat. You need added heat sources like a fire, paint bake IR lights, or the odd volcano. If water is not boiling next to your aluminum tank, don't worry about heat damaging the tank. But, you may have a problem with the blow out disk.

The simple solution is to dive enough all year round that they don't sit full for long anyway! I have one that has sat for as long a a month full. I also rotate my tanks between ow and pool(except the doubles) so all of them are getting emptied and filled on a regualar basis. If you gotta store em for 6 months why even have em? You're not diving enough!

I have obtained several original research papers on this topic, including the original research for the US Navy and the Rhode Island study above.

I will post my findings at a leter date after I have had a chance to read through a few hundred pages of material.

FWIW,

I have two Dacor, Super 80 tanks (Luxfer, I think) that were purchased new in 1991 (6061?). Both were filled and remained filled between dives every time I surfaced. I last dove one of them in 1995 and it's still showing 3000 PSI. The other, I couldn't tell you when I dove it last, but it's been longer than that. I'd like to put an analyzer on them to test the O2 percentage just for fun, but I don't have one.

My OW instructor used the basic function of metal fatigue as an example of why they should be stored full. And I always have. So far those are the only two tanks I've owned, and of course, haven't had problems with them, but they're both WAY past due for a hyrdo and viz.

I've been careful about moisture in them, but they've been stored full for over 13 years each; will they pass?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom