Scuba tank volume

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shinobi226

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi i wanted to buy a set of used steel scuba cylinder. I searched the web and found 3444 psi one, so i contacted the guy and asked him about the volume pi3 or liters and still answers me 3444psi. Is their a simple way to know what is the size of a cylinder? I am not sure but i think that its capacity isint punched in the tank. How do i get to know the right volume for a tank?

Thanks

Some manufacturers punch it into the tank... some don't.

but typically it's stamped in the tank.

Have him give you all the "stamped letters/symbols/numbers" exactly how they are on the tank and then post it here and we can tell you what each of the items means.

The tank volume needs to be specified in either liters or cubic feet of gas. Just knowing the pressure is meaningless.

If you can get an accurate representation of the head stampings it MIGHT be possible to determine what the tank capacity is.

Alternately, if you can get the diameter and height (without the valve) as well as the manufacturer (and this WILL be on the tank, one way or another), you can look in various tank tables and figure out what it is.

Richard

The guy finally understood and answered his tank was 100pi3
So here is the description of one of mine wich i also bought used and dont know its volume
DOT-3aa2250
Hj 1258110
their is also a N inscribed inside of a diamond shape ( quite small 1/4 inch)
somewhere else is punched vz
valve is a scubapro
all other punched thing are all month/hydrostatic guy code/year

Last edited:
This cylinder is an old LP72 made by Norris.

The working pressure is 2250psi which gives 65cuft but if the most recent hydro has a "+" mark then it can be overfilled by 10% and give the full 72cuft.

I would think it is a 15 litre cylinder from the numbers you gave

If it is a steel 72 you might be pushing it a little hard if you try and pump 3444 PSI in it... but that would be a nice fill.

If it is a steel 72 you might be pushing it a little hard if you try and pump 3444 PSI in it... but that would be a nice fill.

I believe the OP is talking about 2 different tanks: an exiting LP72 and a proposed HP <whatever>

Since I have no idea what 100<pi>3 means, I still have no idea how much air it holds.

What is needed, lacking any sensical data from the tank stampings, is the physical size of the tank. Then it's off to the tank tables to identify it.

It could very well be that the 100<pi>3 is somehow related to 100 cf but I can't say that with certainty.

Richard

The guy finally understood and answered his tank was 100pi3
So here is the description of one of mine wich i also bought used and dont know its volume
DOT-3aa2250
Hj 1258110
their is also a N inscribed inside of a diamond shape ( quite small 1/4 inch)
somewhere else is punched vz
valve is a scubapro
all other punched thing are all month/hydrostatic guy code/year

What is a pi3?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom