Scuba vs Alligators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On my initial dive in one of the FL springs, there was a little gator (5' or so) going after some plescostimus cats. The catfish are established exotics from released aquarium fish and are in many of Florida's rivers. The other divers were worried about him. He did not seem interested in us so I did not pay him any mind.

Now big gators tend to be territorial. They will chase intruders from their territories. Wading fly fishermen in the area have a saying "If the gator is bigger than I am, it is his place and I leave". The thing is to stay alert and if you see a really big gator, give him plenty of room and then some. This works fine if you are diving springs or clear rivers.

Now going after golf balls in water hazards could be problematic because the visibility probably stinks.

Here in FL if there is a body of water of any significant size there will most likely have a gator in it or nearby. We post a safety person on shore with a .223 rifle and he will stand watch (his only job) At night we will use spot lights to look for there eyes. Our team has also been told by our local paid trappers that a gator can't attack while submerged, only on top of water. So, should we encounter one, head for the bottom. This has never been proved by our team and I don't want to be the one to test this theory

I have been told that indeed a gator can and will attack under water. Where as most of them eat fish and rarely have I seen a fish swim on the surface I will assume they can eat underwater and attack underwater

Turtle.jpg She looks nice enough cerich:eyebrow:

We just did a body recovery in gator infested waters. In fact only half of the gentlemen was still there. We had FWC and trapper's with crossbows standing on the bank while we entered the water and removed the body. The next day we dove the same waterway looking for the rest of the deceased. We had two officers on the bank with patrol rifles "just in case". As PSD's we normally do what others wont. Just be safe and take precautions.

I dove the Cooper River two days about 13 years ago on a shark tooth charter. I saw a lot of gators, one looked about ten foot long and I dove close to them. I admit I was worried.

During this time my dive boat operator ran over me twice and once blew my mask off my face with the propeller missing me by an inch or so. I will take the gators any day over a captain who is not aware of where his divers are. I'm just saying....

A thrilling read, especially since I dove there early this spring:

Courtesy of Undercurrent (Scuba Diving Magazine, Undercurrent Reviews Dive Resorts, Liveaboards, & Diving Gear)
August 2009, Vol. 24, No. 8

"Croc Attacks Diver in Raja Ampat: The Follow-Up

In last month’s Flotsam section, we mentioned how a British diver on the Indonesian liveaboard SMY Ondina fought off a saltwater crocodile and survived, although with major injuries to his neck and hand that he’s still recovering from. Burt Jones and Maurine Shimlock, the underwater photography duo and regular Undercurrent bloggers, were in the area when the incident happened and were able to get details from the diver, David Shem-Tov, and Ondina owner Ricardo Buxo.

“According to Ondina crew, the boat was anchored at Blue Water Mangroves in northwestern Misool when the 15-foot crocodile attacked from the surface and pulled David to the bottom. It was very shallow, so at least depth wasn’t an issue. The first bite pulled David’s regulator out of his mouth but David, an accomplished diver, had a safe second around his neck and was able to put it in his mouth while fighting back. With his other hand, he used his dive knife to gouge out one of the croc’s eyes, and it let him go.

“There was a dentist on board who did some preliminary stitching. The boat called for assistance on its satellite phone and started back to Sorong, the closet city with an airport and medical facilities, but a 15-hour cruise. They were met by a speedboat that transported David to Sorong. After enduring several surgeries in Singapore, mostly on his hand, he returned home to London.

'There was a debate on one divers forum about whether to kill the injured crocodile. Its ability to feed naturally has been compromised, and that may make it more dangerous to divers. However, kill one and another will likely harass divers. The species is protected and no one can really do anything to harm it without special permission. Regardless, most of us who have spent hours in the area, often diving alone, will take more precautions in the future, as should liveaboard divemasters and dinghy crews. The bottom line is we are entering these animals’ space. Experiencing the wild is what it’s all about, whether we’re diving with sharks, mantas or crocodiles.'”

Regards,

DocVikingo
Feature Writer, Undercurrent

Yeah, that whole we PSD dive where others won't extends to me when and if there are gators involved. Thank god I dive in NY!

Back
Top Bottom