Scuba_Couple's May Trip Report to Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jringold

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey Dudes and Dudettes!

Greetings from Key Largo! We just arrived a couple of hours ago and I thought I’d do a running trip report while we are here.

First, if you ever decide to drive from Northeast Atlanta suburbs to Key Largo, just beat yourself in the head with a 2x4. With I-85 having a big ‘ol whole right in the middle of downtown it took us 2 hours (seriously) just to get out of Atlanta. We had grandiose ideas of diving the whole way but by the time we hit Gainesville I was weaving and getting sleepy. So we stopped and got a few hours sleep.

Checked into the Key West Inn. Totally worth it! As has been said, not the most modern. But I am setting on our screened in porch looking onto the canal as I write this. Last time we were here we stayed at the Hampton Inn. This is soooo much better if you want extra room and excellent views. We went to Publix (about a mile away) and loaded up on supplies, Breakfasts and lunches for the duration. We plan on sampling the local places for dinner (we have morning dives at RR every morning). There is a liquor store in the same plaza so we grabbed a bottle of Skyy for the room. We saved some extra money so we may do an afternoon dive with another op just to get a taste of something different.

More to come later!
Morgan

Have fun.

Canal side restaraunt next to Holiday Inn under new management from a couple years ago. Had a nice meal there.

Tradition requires fish tacos at Sharkey's.

We'll be where Thursday night diving through the weekend at Conch republic.

Seas are horribly flat this weekend. They are a vicious 6 inches and dropping. DROPPING. Dive at your own peril. You have to be a real diver to handle these seas. :D :D :D @sphyon wouldn't come down it was so rough.

Thanks for the report Morgan! Hope you guys have a great time :)

I feel your pain about driving in Atlanta! We just got back from Charlotte, NC. Rather than fighting the madness through Atlanta on the way up, we drove from Louisiana to Chattanooga and took the scenic route through the mountains. It was worth the detour!

Glad Key West Inn is acceptable for you. It's convenient having a kitchen. Keep the info coming :clapping:

We did Skippers Dockside for dinner. It was awesome. Fish and chips - the slaw - well, lets put it this way, I don’t even like slaw. Not only did I eat mine, I ate Annette’s slaw as well. Service was great. I tried the Mojito - I was spoiled with these in Cancun last year and will say the ones at Skippers Dockside are sub par. But the food was great!

Tomorrow morning:
Boat: Tropical Legend
Benwood Wreck (55ft)
French Reef (15-25 ft)

Morgan

Diving MOLASSES deep reef tomorrow in search of spawning barrel sponges!,,,,,,,,,the entire week looks good

Reefman
Key largo

SUPER jealous!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom