Scubaboard copyright violation!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's really funny about copyright law is the need for "fair" and "damage". It is very close to Trademark law, which I have some personal experience with... In Trademark or Wordmark law, it is required to send the supposed "infringer" a certified cease and desist letter. In the letter, the trademark infringement must be specified, and the opportunity to resolve infringement must be offered (a date [usually 30 days] to comply is the norm). If the date arrives and the infringement continues, it is now time to attain attorneys to enforce your Trademark rights...

In this instance, very little was even perceived as legal, yet one party acted in honest possibility that they might have infringed on copyright law and took action in a normal time frame... One party attempted to extract more than is allowed by law and extort, or at the minimum, bill for funds they cannot prove were lost... In such a case who is really the underdog?

I'll freely admit I'm not a lawyer and anyone who blindly follows my advice is an idiot. That said, I welcome anyone to check my quote sources (when I take the time to quote it). Pretty sure the copyright and patent office is a credible source :D

:D Did not mean that personally.

I was simply observing how so much legal mumbo jumbo, and advice (both good, and very, very not so good), is spouted with authority on the internet.

Your wisdom/advice had a ring of truth to it.

You're making this up as you go, aren't you?... lol
Caught a whiff of butt did you? :wink:

:D Did not mean that personally.

I was simply observing how so much legal mumbo jumbo, and advice (both good, and very, very not so good), is spouted with authority on the internet.

Your wisdom/advice had a ring of truth to it.
Heh nothing personal taken. Is a good reminder for me to watch my tone and to back things up. Of course it is on the other person to check my sources as xkcd pointed out:

What's really funny about copyright law is the need for "fair" and "damage". It is very close to Trademark law, which I have some personal experience with... In Trademark or Wordmark law, it is required to send the supposed "infringer" a certified cease and desist letter. In the letter, the trademark infringement must be specified, and the opportunity to resolve infringement must be offered (a date [usually 30 days] to comply is the norm). If the date arrives and the infringement continues, it is now time to attain attorneys to enforce your Trademark rights...

In this instance, very little was even perceived as legal, yet one party acted in honest possibility that they might have infringed on copyright law and took action in a normal time frame... One party attempted to extract more than is allowed by law and extort, or at the minimum, bill for funds they cannot prove were lost... In such a case who is really the underdog?
What a pain to find this thread after it was moved twice. It's almost like someone wanted to hide it!

I have no idea what your experience is with trademark law, and have no idea what "wordmark" law is, but cease and desist letters certainly aren't required as a prerequisite to demanding statutory damages in a U.S. copyright infringement case. Statutory damages are a minimum of $200 even for innocent infrigement, and potentially can include attorney fees.

(BTW, your ideas about trademark law, if you're talking about U.S. law, are seriously screwed up - but I guess that's why you people "attain" attorneys!)

What a pain to find this thread after it was moved twice. It's almost like someone wanted to hide it!

Sounds like someone would rather flex their Internet muscle rather than use thread subscriptions which mean never searching for a moved thread.

And I am sure SB is hiding things in the dozens of misplaced threads that get moved every day/week. I am sure with very little effort you can come up with a couple more BS things to accuse them of.

I had thread subscriptions, but apparently someone turned them off. I won't accuse Scubaboard of doing that, I must have done it in my sleep. It was nice when I didn't have to RTFM in order to post :)

Seems like more work to move a thread, twice, rather than let it sit where it wasn't bothering anyone, but that's just my opinion. I know nothing about moderation, can't figure out why a copyright gripe would be considered Site Support anyway. Personally, I believe the entire issue should have been dealt with privately, but it's sure more fun out in public. I guess the easter egg hunt just adds to the excitement.

Mossman-- First, do you want help turning your subscriptions back on? You can do it yourself, but I'd be glad to do it for you if you don't feel like RTFMing. Just let me know. We don't mess around with people's profiles unless asked, or to change a user group that has to be moderated (such as I to I), or something like that. Believe me, we have enough to do in taking care of all the reports and the spam that show up on the board without getting so bored that we would stoop to the SB equivalent of teenaged prank calls (such as choosing random members to harass though sneaky changes to profiles so they can't find their subscriptions). But if you ask, I can turn your subscriptions on.

Second, you don't know that it wasn't bothering anyone when the current thread was originally moved from Site Support. While we don't typically discuss or defend our moderation efforts, since you say you don't know anything about moderation I'll clue you in just a little. The thread was originally moved as a response to an objection from someone, like you, who thought it didn't belong in Site Support. And I was the one who suggested that it be put in Feedback rather than in the place it was first moved to. So if you have a problem with the second move, which brought it to Feedback, blame me (though I didn't do the moving myself). I'm staying in the kitchen, BTW, as the heat doesn't bother me a bit, so if you feel the need to breathe fire on somebody for not being able to find the thread, I'm wearing my flame-retardant jammies right now.

I seem to have had no problem with the changing between different forums. Once I was subscribed to the original thread I was only aware of it switching to other forums, because of comments. The active thread feature in User CP seems to track the thread no matter where it moves.

Guess what, I went to User CP and all those subscribed threads were there. Very fancy. Hide all the threads you want now 'cause I'm onto you!

And Quero, if someone like me was objecting to where the thread was originally placed, I would have told them to go ..., well, OK, maybe that's why no one would ever want me to do any moderatin' (P.S. I liked your response much better than ScubaSteve's - he sounded so defensive, I knew he was guilty of something :) )

Guess what, I went to User CP and all those subscribed threads were there. Very fancy. Hide all the threads you want now 'cause I'm onto you!

Or there's this:

thread.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom