ScubaBoard Invasion Central 2016 Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since ScubaBoard has members around the globe there will NEVER be a perfect date for everyone.
We need EVERY room at both resorts and getting both resorts empty on back to back weeks even this far in advance was not easy. I hope you understand and hope you can still attend.

Again I want to emphasis we cannot allow members to attend for only part of the Invasion. I do hope everyone understand we have limited space and the demand so far looks like those rooms won't last long.
Hey im hearing ya loud n clear Thanks for the clarification.
Sorry I tried to edit my post because it read like a critique not a "ohh bummber for us"
You've clarified you have both resorts fully booked for both weeks for the invasion and you expect to fill all the spaces in those resorts
Thats just fantastic news
Trouble is for us 2 weeks straight isn't an option for time off work.(small company self employed)
SOO-are there alternate resorts close by that we could organise privately to stay at?
With you lot being a few hours flying away it would be just plum rude not to say gidday and do a few dives.

This invasion sounds amazing! I was so envious when everyone was in Roatan. I'd love to put a deposit down, but thought I should check on a couple of things first. Any insights would be a big help.

1) Is there unspoken registration etiquette? I.e. should I wait a couple of days until the regulars who go every year have had a chance to get a room?
Rooms are first come first serve... this is why we announced it 2 weeks ahead of signup

2) As a relatively new diver (AOW but only about 60 dives) is the diving there appropriate for that level of experience? My dives have mostly been in Hawaii, Belize, and Roatan, but I don't have experience with really heavy current.

AOW is fine plus you will be in small groups of 6-8 with a DM in the water with each group. Also you will have 2 years until this trip happens.

3) Are the dive boats pretty accessible / decent (sturdy) ladders? I looked for pics but wasn't sure which boats were the *dive* boats. I'm a big (aka fat) diver with bad knees and I want to assesss whether I can get out of the water with relative ease. If its to challenging, this might not be the best choice for me.

The Boats are smaller than (Caribbean boats ) but have ladders and they deal with all size divers all the time. Do be aware you may need to back roll or put you gear on in the water on some boats. You may also need to take you gear off in the water and staff will pull it up into the boat. This also helps with the ladders

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Melissa

Your answers are in RED... please do not hesitate to ask any question you may have

Although 2 weeks can be tough to swing off, it makes some sense considering the travel time & effort some people face getting there. Just to get a rough idea of cost, I hit Orbitz.com and looked at booking airfare from Nashville to Manilla, round trip, and put in a Saturday to Saturday 2 week stretch in August 2014 just to get a ball park idea what a trip might cost and look like. The cheapest is over $2,300 and would arrive 2 days later!!! I requested shortest flight; that would arrive 2 days late & return a day late. So basically, at least from my location, I'd probably have to spend at least 3 days going & coming, and airfare cost alone would pay for my airfare and package resort/diving/rental truck in Bonaire.

If I were a single man, I might try to make it. Would love to take a crack at diving the Philippines.

Richard.

This invasion sounds amazing! I was so envious when everyone was in Roatan. I'd love to put a deposit down, but thought I should check on a couple of things first. Any insights would be a big help.

1) Is there unspoken registration etiquette? I.e. should I wait a couple of days until the regulars who go every year have had a chance to get a room?
Rooms are first come first serve... this is why we announced it 2 weeks ahead of signup

2) As a relatively new diver (AOW but only about 60 dives) is the diving there appropriate for that level of experience? My dives have mostly been in Hawaii, Belize, and Roatan, but I don't have experience with really heavy current.

AOW is fine plus you will be in small groups of 6-8 with a DM in the water with each group. Also you will have 2 years until this trip happens.

3) Are the dive boats pretty accessible / decent (sturdy) ladders? I looked for pics but wasn't sure which boats were the *dive* boats. I'm a big (aka fat) diver with bad knees and I want to assesss whether I can get out of the water with relative ease. If its to challenging, this might not be the best choice for me.

The Boats are smaller than (Caribbean boats ) but have ladders and they deal with all size divers all the time. Do be aware you may need to back roll or put you gear on in the water on some boats. You may also need to take you gear off in the water and staff will pull it up into the boat. This also helps with the ladders

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Melissa

Your answers are in RED... please do not hesitate to ask any question you may have

Although 2 weeks can be tough to swing off, it makes some sense considering the travel time & effort some people face getting there. Just to get a rough idea of cost, I hit Orbitz.com and looked at booking airfare from Nashville to Manilla, round trip, and put in a Saturday to Saturday 2 week stretch in August 2014 just to get a ball park idea what a trip might cost and look like. The cheapest is over $2,300 and would arrive 2 days later!!! I requested shortest flight; that would arrive 2 days late & return a day late. So basically, at least from my location, I'd probably have to spend at least 3 days going & coming, and airfare cost alone would pay for my airfare and package resort/diving/rental truck in Bonaire.

If I were a single man, I might try to make it. Would love to take a crack at diving the Philippines.

Richard.

While I cannot predict airlines schedules in 2016. The way for us in the USA is to fly into LA or San Fran .... Their are non stops from there and we are going to work on a group rate with the travel agency when we get closer. Its a 13hr flight from LA or SFO

Those in Canada have a non stop from Vancouver option.

I would love to meet you but the Invasion package is a all or nothing package. We have very limited space and it is just not possible for those not part of entire 2 week package to get involved. I do hope you understand.

{snif}{snif} sure, sure I understand... {snif} I'll just play over here in the corner by myself...

Looks like a Blast. I'll put the feelers out with Dive Buddies.... Where was the last Invasion and how did it turn out?

I've been to both resorts, and am going back to Dumaguete this fall. They are FABULOUS! The places are beautiful, the diving is fantastic, and the staff are amazing. I probably can't commit before all the rooms are booked, but I'd love to go back.

Richard.

You can't run any reasonable search for 2016 right now... but if I program in those dates as Oct 2014 and run a search, I get $1360 as the lowest fair from Nashville to Manila. And if you drive to Atlanta, you can get the flights for as little as $1163, coming this direction is a pain, and you lose a couple days... but going home, you get one back to the east coast.

From Chicago, you lose just 1 day and the cost of the tickets is $1025 to Manila...

Point here is that with a little imagination, and driving a relatively short distance, you can make it work and save a lot of money compared to your $2300 USD... if I lived in Nashville, I'd for sure drive (or purchase another $99 regional ticket) from there to Chicago to get RT airfare to Manila for $1000 less.

Just a hint for those who will be privileged to go to the invasion...

---------- Post added June 18th, 2014 at 02:35 PM ----------

I've been to both resorts, and am going back to Dumaguete this fall. They are FABULOUS! The places are beautiful, the diving is fantastic, and the staff are amazing. I probably can't commit before all the rooms are booked, but I'd love to go back.

Maybe we should revisit this in January 2016 and see if we shouldn't get a NORTHERN invasion force that goes to Cebu and the Central Viscaya's... June isn't peak season by any stretch in the Philippines (it's the monsoon season, so there is rain usually overnight and sunny days at least in the northern latitudes)... or we could invade SUBIC BAY!...

Looks like a Blast. I'll put the feelers out with Dive Buddies.... Where was the last Invasion and how did it turn out?

The 2014 ScubaBoard Invasion was held at Anthony's Key in Roatan Honduras.
How did it turn out?? Here is a link to last years Invasion section
ScubaBoard Invasion 2014

Here is last years video Recap

Hopefully some crew members from Roatan will chime in but lets just say Invasions are the event of the year.

I've been to both resorts, and am going back to Dumaguete this fall. They are FABULOUS! The places are beautiful, the diving is fantastic, and the staff are amazing.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom