ScubaBoard Invasion Central 2020 Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst. At this point, I think things in the US are going to get worse before they get better.

Hope I'm wrong.

....and many other countries will get worse a bit later, I think.

After spending too many hours of my SI's last week on the Kona Aggressor II, keeping up with the changes, and then deciding to cut our trip short, and to find some way hime early (only to see Hawaii slam the door closed on tourist the very next day), I have my doubts that we can hold this Invasion together..

I have been really looking forward to this SB Invasion, it will only be my 2nd since a small expeditionary "Invasion" years ago.

Right now though, I do not see this crisis clearing substantially, and nations beginning to let their borders open again for several months.

Just keep in mind that every year, in the US, approximately 60,000 people die from the flu (source:CDC). Presently Coronavirus deaths in the US are less than 2,000. Unless, and I am skeptical that it will, this number rises to exceed the number of annual flu deaths, a reality-check will occur, and normalcy may return faster than the hype suggests. Experts in the field are actually revising their estimates downward by orders of magnitude. I am hopeful.

As an aside, in my city, the air is fresh and clean and the stars are shining brightly in the sky as I have never seen before.

So there's that.

I self-deleted another stupid rant about the virus.

I just hope we get to go. If we don't, we'll do it another year.

The Little Cayman trip couldn't dive because of wind. We can't dive because of world-fcking-wide pandemic, btches.

Just keep in mind that every year, in the US, approximately 60,000 people die from the flu (source:CDC). Presently Coronavirus deaths in the US are less than 2,000. Unless, and I am skeptical that it will, this number rises to exceed the number of annual flu deaths, a reality-check will occur, and normalcy may return faster than the hype suggests. Experts in the field are actually revising their estimates downward by orders of magnitude. I am hopeful.

As an aside, in my city, the air is fresh and clean and the stars are shining brightly in the sky as I have never seen before.

So there's that.
Well, these covid deaths have been about a week and a half and growing exponentially.

Those flu deaths are for a whole year.

Every time I hear someone spout the "flu whataboutism" they totally ignore the Known difference in mortality rates.

Today, a preacher who called covid19 no big deal and instructed his flock to just trust in God.....died of covid19

SMITED!

But, do go on.....

Today, a preacher who called covid19 no big deal and instructed his flock to just trust in God.....died of covid19

I love irony.

So there's that.
Influenza has an RO (R naught) of around 1.4 and COVID 19 seems to have an RO on the order of 2 to 2.6 according to latest figures and may even be higher. If you believe this is overblown, fine. But the science and math do not concur with your opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom