ScubaBoard SURGE Central 2015 Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finally home and wishing we were still in Curacao. It was a fantastic week. So much fun seeing old friends from Invasions past and meeting new ones. The diving was fabulous and Ocean Encounters has got to be one of, if not the best dive op I've ever worked with. Sunscape is a great place to stay.

The only down side was the wonderful folks from DiveRite brought down some of their excellent gear ... it's gonna cost us some money. Cindy has already decided she has to have a TransPak and a DiveRite Octo. :idk: What ya gonna do? :D Eventually I'll spring for a set of their regs, also.
Thanks Lamar, Jared, Leann, and Taylor. It was a pleasure meeting y'all.

Arrived home at 9:30, long day.

I have to echo what Gary said. We had a lots of laughs and plenty of fun. Looking forward to the next Surge/Invasion.

Dennis and Roxanne. Thank you very much for a wonderful time. Your hard work at putting together these gatherings is greatly appreciated. Becky and I are looking forward to the next Invasion/Surge.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Thank you Dennis and Roxanne. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Everything, from the crew view, went exceptionally well. (we won't get into the behind the scenes with Dennis view.) The hard work and caring attitude you put into these trips is unequaled. Thank you, again.

One of the fun pics from the week with Ocean Encounters!

12311061_907958565925093_2784686902040248134_n.jpg

I’ve dove 119 dives and was never 100% relaxed and comfortable underwater like some of my diving buddies. Although, I always managed to have fun because of the dive sites, the varied sea life and my wonderful dive buddy, my husband Gary.
During this past week, Gary and I participated in ScubaBoard’s first Surge event. We flew down to Curacao for a week long dive vacation. It had been a couple of years since our last dive and I didn’t get a chance to practice in our dive shop pool so I was feeling a little uncertain. Pete Murray (Netdoc), the owner of ScubaBoard, offered to give me a few pointers on buoyancy. I was delighted because that has always been my biggest challenge and what I struggled with the most when I went diving! In fact, I had purchased an Aqua Lung i3 and been using it for several years to facilitate my diving comfort. The i3 Inflator Mechanism has a Single-Touch Control for both Inflation and Deflation. Lift-Up-to-Inflate, Push-Down-to-Deflate, what could be more simple for someone whose main diving issue was buoyancy control?
Pete taught me buoyancy control in three simple steps!
1) GOING UNDER…Take a deep breath, pause and at the same time release air out of my BC until my head was just under the water, then…release the BC deflator mechanism while at the same time slowly release my breath and I would descend until I got to the depth I wanted!!!!
2) STAYING UNDER… Without touching the i3 BC mechanism I was able to ascend/descend with my breathing and slight body movements alone! I would take a deep breath, put my hands together and pulled them toward my chest while I looked up and pulling my legs in toward my torso if I wanted to go up, then planed out by extending my legs and arms straight out. If I wanted to go down I’d breathe and release it all out while extending my arms out and looking down.
3) GOING UP….Take a super breath by deeply inhaling using the muscles without shutting down the epiglottis so that small bubbles continuously escaped out of the side of my mouth. I kept taking super breaths until I was at the safety stop depth then took normal inhales and exhales until it was time to go up all the way, then I continued my super breaths until I surfaced! THEN, I used the BC inflator again to keep me afloat on the surface!!!!
I only used the BC i3 control twice! Once going down and once I was on the surface!!! I had never done that before, and I was never so relaxed! Usually I was pretty tired and had used up a lot of air! This was truly a wonderful gift!
I couldn’t wait until my next dive to apply everything I learned!!! I did just fine over the subsequent dives. After so many years of doing it wrong, I had to keep reminding myself of Pete’s steps and my diving experiences have been so much more enjoyable!!! THANK YOU Pete!!!

While in our ScubaBoard Surge in Curacao, we had an opportunity to try on one of our sponsor’s, Dive Rite, equipment. I was particularly honored to meet the owners of Dive Rite, Lamar and Lee Ann Hires. I started talking with Jared Hires, their son and the General Manager and Marketing Director, about trying out the equipment they had brought for us to play with and actually had Lamar fit me to one of their TransPac systems and one of their regulators rigs. It felt so comfortable and light. I couldn’t wait until the next day to try it out!
During the evening I had heard some of the other divers in the group talk about how the back wings could tip you over, face down, when you were on the water surface sand that worried me a bit. So the next day I had a chance to mention my concern to Lee Ann Hires. She told me to fill the wing half way before I jumped in the water, then just lean back as if I was in an easy chair and I should be ok. I wasn’t as sure, as I was used to having a BC that totally surrounded me and made me feel secure. The TransPac only had an integrated back wing, nothing around the front. But I did what Lee Ann told me and I couldn’t believe it actually worked. I filled my wing a little over half full, jumped in the water and leaned back… I stayed back, it truly felt snug so I didn’t feel out of control and I stayed in place when I leaned back as if I was in an easy chair… unbelievable! It was so easy and I felt super comfortable. The TransPac also helped me achieve proper trim much faster than my other BCs. I can’t wait to order my own Dive Rite TransPac for Christmas!!!

And don't forget to manage your bubble! Thanks for the kind words... And you can be sure I'll let you explain the mechanics for the next class. That was spot on.

Well, it's Monday. Hope all you fellow Surgers have a great week.

Now that the "travel fog" has cleared, let me weigh in on this one too. When someone asks me what my best dive is, my classic answer has always been - "my last one and my next one." I'm going to have to modify this somehow, because THE SURGE 2015 was WONDERFUL ON ALL LEVELS!

Dennis and Roxanne - You are the BEST! You really know how to run a trip and make sure we all have fun. Love your rule: HAVE FUN! Best of all, it's nice to know you are just around the corner from my house. You two have made my move to Florida so enjoyable. It was a great day in my life when I met you and you kind of took me under your wing. THANKS A BUNCH!

To Pete: Thanks for adding this event on and getting us all together.

To the Dive Rite gang - Lamar, Leann, Jared, and Taylor - A great BIG THANKS to you for coming and sharing your products and your knowledge and for making such a contribution to recreational diving. I had so much fun getting to know you all. I will see you soon when I go up and pick up my new DIVE RITE BC. I always get excited about new gear, but never have I been this excited because the BC I used for two days is the best ever. Any apprehension I felt on the first dive with it was gone by the time my ears cleared. The second dive had me convinced a new BC was definitely in my future. And when I got the chance to use it the second day, I truly thought I was in heaven. See you soon to pick up my new Coral Restoration edition BC. (THANKS ELENA for letting me know there is the Coral Restoration edition.)

To Ocean Encounters - I have to move Ocean Encounters (OE) to the very top of my list of good dive operations. There are good operations and there are outstanding operations and OE is at the top of the outstanding list. Thanks to everyone at OE for adding to the enjoyment of the Surge.

To Sunscape Curacao - From check in to check out, the staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful. All you had to do was ask and you received and all with a smile.

To my dive buddy / roomie, Bonnie: What a treat to reconnect with you after 4-1/2 years. I hope this trip is just one of many in our future. It's great when you are able to spend time with someone that you seem to always be "on the same page."

To the Surge Crew: What a great bunch you are. Really enjoyed you all and can't wait for the next time our paths cross. I can't promise I will remember all your names but I know we'll have fun. How can we not have fun?
:balloons:

Ditto, Nickie.

BTW, where can we get information on the Coral Restoration edition of the TransPac?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom