ScubaBoard Invasion Central 2021 Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope. Hence my post.

Perhaps start with reading some blogs and such. If you just go as a tourist for 3 days, you're going to have a very skewed view and that could be good or bad, both of which exist of course. :)

Here's one:

Rebecca at SanPedroScoop.com. she's on Facebook too.

Yah I know I know, it would not be the first island I've moved to, and I only plan on being a part-time ex-pat, summers only. Been studying Belize (and other countries) for years. Including that blog. Not looking for ex-pat advice, looking for advice on my little solo vacay. What I need advice on is dive/hotel choices for my short time on Ambergris. Felix gave me good info on the water taxi or flight to Ambergris. And I think I'll spend Friday night at the Best Western in Belize City as the dive trip can pick me up from there on Saturday.

Yah I know I know, it would not be the first island I've moved to, and I only plan on being a part-time ex-pat, summers only. Been studying Belize (and other countries) for years. Including that blog. Not looking for ex-pat advice, looking for advice on my little solo vacay. What I need advice on is dive/hotel choices for my short time on Ambergris. Felix gave me good info on the water taxi or flight to Ambergris. And I think I'll spend Friday night at the Best Western in Belize City as the dive trip can pick me up from there on Saturday.

Ah, I see!

I'll get back to you. I've got to go out for a bit. Perhaps we should take this to private convo?

maybe other people would like to have the dive shop/motel or AirBNB info. And obviously I am in no hurry. :)

If you are just sneaking in/out of ambergris I would say check out the sun breeze hotel (not suites) which will mean you can walk out of the airport and take 10 steps to the front of the hotel. Alternatively Ramon’s is a little more upscale tiki kitsch, but more for sitting around the pool all day IMO. Both put you in a position to walk around town and explore on foot.

all dive ops will also pick you up and drop you off from your dock. I’ll always recommend Belize pro dive as an op with the best DMs. And are about a 7 min boat ride away. I generally like most DMs in Belize though...only ever seen a couple of dodgy ones..I’ve been diving with lots on ambergris, Belize pro are my preference. Wife is happy diving with them alone as well. There was actually a situation a few years ago when a dude from Ohio we were diving with had the front screen of his rented golf cart stolen from outside the hotel.. (not an uncommon occurrence) a couple of the DMs from Belize pro dive found out...went to make some enquires and managed to get it back for him the next day. (Dimas hates petty island crime!)

ref Belize city, you couldn’t get me to stay in the best western overnight if you paid me... but you couldn’t get me to stay most anywhere in Belize city overnight..at a push I’d stay at the Fort George....but I would 100% stay the extra night in ambergris. There is nothing really going to happen that you can’t make the 15 mins flight from ambergris on the day you sail etc.. I always show up in cities 2/3 days before lives boards to be extra cautious and avoid screwups, I would have no concern about travelling from ambergris to Belize city on the day I sail, especially if it meant I didn’t have to spend the night in Belize city! And I’ve lived in Islamabad/deli and Mombassa....

Thanks! When I got on an overseas trip I always try to arrive a day or two ahead in case of flight delays, as I've definitely experienced that in the past and lost first days of precious dive trips, and my plan is to get to Belize City Airport a few days ahead, hop the ferry to Ambergris Caye and do some diving and some exploring. Now I just need to decide what day before pull the trigger on my flight schedule.

On Friday night I thought I'd need to stay where I can be picked up by the charter in the morning, Felix said they only pick up at Best Western or the Airport. Although I suppose I could stay Friday night on island and catch the first ferry back. BTW I lived on St. Croix for a couple of years and Big Island for another year, and spent many years living near Fort Lauderdale Beach, and have been all over the Bahamas and Caribbean, so believe me, I'm familiar with seedy/dangerous! Not a deterrent for an overnight stay in order to catch my ride, but I'm sure I can get myself back to the airport by 2 p.m. if I catch an early ferry.

Thanks! When I got on an overseas trip I always try to arrive a day or two ahead in case of flight delays, as I've definitely experienced that in the past and lost first days of precious dive trips, and my plan is to get to Belize City Airport a few days ahead, hop the ferry to Ambergris Caye and do some diving and some exploring. Now I just need to decide what day before pull the trigger on my flight schedule.

On Friday night I thought I'd need to stay where I can be picked up by the charter in the morning, Felix said they only pick up at Best Western or the Airport. Although I suppose I could stay Friday night on island and catch the first ferry back. BTW I lived on St. Croix for a couple of years and Big Island for another year, and spent many years living near Fort Lauderdale Beach, and have been all over the Bahamas and Caribbean, so believe me, I'm familiar with seedy/dangerous! Not a deterrent for an overnight stay in order to catch my ride, but I'm sure I can get myself back to the airport by 2 p.m. if I catch an early ferry.

absolutely, and if push comes to shove the 15 min flight is about $85 bucks and they fly about every 20 mins. It’s basically like waiting for a bus.

and the Belize city commentary was less about danger and more about the hotels being utter garbage for what you pay for..:) although I wouldn’t walk around after dark...and I look like a criminal..

if the pickup is at 2, you have plenty of time to miss several ferries/planes and still make it..you can basically just walk into the terminal in San Pedro, pay cash and they will put you in the next available flight. The ‘time you have booked on your ticket’ If you buy ahead is quite flexible..And the flight from San Pedro to Belize city doesn’t really go high enough to have decompression issues..

if you stay at the sun breeze I honestly think you could be door to door at the Belize city arrivals lounge in 40 mins from walking out of the hotel...I wouldn’t chance it to be so tight, but I bet you could make it !

I’ll usually get the 11:45 flight from ambergris to catch a 2:30pm flight back home...

Is there a reason that you don't just fly back and forth from Belize International or fly from BZE to Ambergris and then fly back to the Belize City Municipal airport with a short taxi ride to Best Western for your pickup?

There's nothing quite like the window seat on the right hand side of the puddle jumper on your way to Ambergris Caye, sigh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom