Wanted Scubapro 109

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The old chromed brass seconds are very nice, but they are very heavy and they will scratch, dent and corrode. There always seem to be a lot of them on ebay.

individual perspective, not globally accepted

The old chromed brass seconds are very nice, but they are very heavy and they will scratch, dent and corrode. There always seem to be a lot of them on ebay.

And the "plastic" ones don't? LOL... I've seen quite the awful looking "plastic" regs..

but not crack, and yet will still likely function (I have a few with some "character")

about the only slightly valid comment. Proper care (rinse/soak) and they hold up well. First stages are the same material, why is that good enough? These are from the 60's and on, and I have a significant pile of them in fine shape... I'd like to see a "plastic" second with 50 years on it..

individual perspective, not globally accepted

And the "plastic" ones don't? LOL... I've seen quite the awful looking "plastic" regs..

but not crack, and yet will still likely function (I have a few with some "character")

about the only slightly valid comment. Proper care (rinse/soak) and they hold up well. First stages are the same material, why is that good enough? These are from the 60's and on, and I have a significant pile of them in fine shape... I'd like to see a "plastic" second with 50 years on it..

I was pretty much reacting to the "driving nails" comment. I like my 108 and 109 and Mk5, mostly because I serviced them myself and they're pretty. But practically speaking, I don't find them to be better than my Atomics or more modern ScubaPro's.
When handling my regs I'm more careful with the metal ones because when they hit something they hit harder because of the weight and they will dent rather than rebound as a lighter plastic one will. Brass hammers have their place in life, but not for driving nails.
I am just trying to point out to people not familiar with them that the older metal regulators are not perfect. But they are pretty and they're fun and they're inexpensive.

Just try and understand the stuff that people grew up with and love man, and those that love them later

were you reacting to the "driving nails" comment, and they are on ebay because they sell.

The few grams lighter regarding the non existent, since invented, fake news "mouth fatigue"
was the catch cry when composite regs were introduced and being marketed to the pussies

How long before the cheap bums develop a plastic for first stages
They have already shaved off much more brass than is acceptable

I used to cringe every time there was a scubaboard love-in about a particular classic reg

It meant the ebay prices would rise accordingly

We love em so much our hair eventually goes silver in sympathy and homage, that's from all the love!

I think you guys are looking for an argument where none exists.

Weight difference G250V 235g, 109 261g (less mouthpiece) difference less than an ounce. I clip mine off when not in use, same as plastic to prevent scratches. Also have beater 109. :D

Edit: 2.5 ounce difference. Didn’t have the 109 exhaust tee on.

Edit ugh: my 109 331g… also forgot the diaphragm and cover. Lol

Sorry in the middle of a rebuild.

This is what I got on my scale (I don't have a matching ScubaPro):

Atomic z2: 187gm 6.6oz
SP 109: 332gm 11.7oz
SP D400: 232gm 8.2oz

So, according to my little coffee scale the 109 outweighs the Z2 by a factor of 1.77x. Can anyone verify?

As a point of reference, the ScubaPro S560 is spec'd at: 172gm / 6.1oz from marketing materials.

109: 332gm 11.7oz

So, according to my little coffee scale the 109 outweighs the Z2 by a factor of 1.77x. Can anyone verify?

As a point of reference, the ScubaPro S560 is spec'd at: 172gm / 6.1oz from marketing materials.
My Z2 with mouthpiece 187g

109: 332gm 11.7oz

My BA156 is noticeably heavier in the water compared to my Atomics or G250. Definitely feel the weight when breathing it (not hard to get used to) and when I clip it off it hangs like a brick. While the plastic regs may not be much lighter on land I feel like they have a bit more buoyancy to them that feels a lot different under water (although the BA156 feels almost twice as heavy in my hand on land, subjectively).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom