Wanted Scubapro 109

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The old chromed brass seconds are very nice, but they are very heavy and they will scratch, dent and corrode. There always seem to be a lot of them on ebay.

That's because too many people want the "latest and great" instead of the tried and true. Plastic is less costly than metal, easier to work/machine and light for smaller divers with weak mouths.

Check in another 30 years, see how many plastic regulators there are on Ebay.

If I had another 20-30 years to dive I'd spring for the SP titanium regulator, rugged and light.

That's because too many people want the "latest and great" instead of the tried and true. Plastic is less costly than metal, easier to work/machine and light for smaller divers with weak mouths.

Check in another 30 years, see how many plastic regulators there are on Ebay.

If I had another 20-30 years to dive I'd spring for the SP titanium regulator, rugged and light.
Your AIR1 is plastic and they are generally over 40 years old.

To be fair, SP has some surprisingly good plastics. On the other hand, oceanic flexible purge covers crumbling and first gen plastic Conshelf 2nds cracking around the inlet fitting are more inline with industry standard!

To be fair, SP has some surprisingly good plastics. On the other hand, oceanic flexible purge covers crumbling and first gen plastic Conshelf 2nds cracking around the inlet fitting are more inline with industry standard!
WAIT! Are you saying there are other regulator makers? :)

And how many were actually made and are still available? Now and then I see one on Ebay but of course those are the ones that didn't have a tank dropped on them, or get broken in some other manner a 109 would have just shrugged off with a dent, maybe.

The AIR1 was bought almost 9 years ago for my wife, for precisely its weight or lack of it. She used it a few times until it started free flowing. Couldn't get it fixed so it sat in a box until I found someone that could service it. Mrs.AD is not diving any more, ticker issues. I won't let her dive and she can't dive without me so she is landlocked. And of course @lexvil you know what I've done with the AIR1. The AIR 1 is the only plastic regulator I've ever owned. I like the performance but it has little to do with the plastic. Its father the Pilot was brass and chrome and it worked very well.
Other than the AIR1 a "unicorn" regulator I believe it was called, and who doesn't like unicorns? If a regulator is not brass and chrome, I can't even get interested.

WAIT! Are you saying there are other regulator makers? :)
Someday we'll be in the same state and I'll let you dive my modified Healthways SCUBA. It's..... interesting........ lol

And how many were actually made and are still available? Now and then I see one on Ebay but of course those are the ones that didn't have a tank dropped on them, or get broken in some other manner a 109 would have just shrugged off with a dent, maybe.

The AIR1 was bought almost 9 years ago for my wife, for precisely its weight or lack of it. She used it a few times until it started free flowing. Couldn't get it fixed so it sat in a box until I found someone that could service it. Mrs.AD is not diving any more, ticker issues. I won't let her dive and she can't dive without me so she is landlocked. And of course @lexvil you know what I've done with the AIR1. The AIR 1 is the only plastic regulator I've ever owned. I like the performance but it has little to do with the plastic. Its father the Pilot was brass and chrome and it worked very well.
Other than the AIR1 a "unicorn" regulator I believe it was called, and who doesn't like unicorns? If a regulator is not brass and chrome, I can't even get interested.
I don’t know how many were made but I have at least 6, once you put a D series poppet in it with a o-ring seat the performance is even better, new pre-dive/dive switches from James79 help with a weak spot on parts but to use one you really need 2 or 3 just to have donors for other parts. I’ll put it up against a Pilot for damage resistance but they use the same parts once converted. All that to point out that plastic holds up just fine, lack of support from SP is the only thing really limiting the longevity.

I’ve had plenty of 109’s but I’ve run across more in dismal condition than the plastic wonders. The 109 is beautiful and classy but I’ll keep with my plastic for actual diving, specifically the D420 which is a direct descendant of the Pilot/plastic mating.

Someday we'll be in the same state and I'll let you dive my modified Healthways SCUBA. It's..... interesting........ lol
Aren’t those in the same Family as the Mares?

Aren’t those in the same Family as the Mares?
You pain me... lol.
The Healthway Scuba (circa mid to late 1950s), with 3d printed clamp ring, and assorted internal mods:
HWscuba.jpg

No hose loop on it in this picture. It's a single stage, so none of those modern "accessories"!

Best,

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom