ScubaPro Co-Founder Dick Bonin Passes Away

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luis H

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
https://www.deeperblue.com/36449-2/

By John Liang -
December 11, 2015

ScubaPro_bonin.png

ScubaPro co-founder Dick Bonin has died, the company announced this week.
ScubaPro co-founder Dick Bonin has died at the age of 85, the company announced this week.
Bonin led Scubapro for almost 30 years, according to the book “Diving Pioneers: An Oral History Of Diving In America.”
He also served in the U.S. Navy’s Underwater Demolition Teams and helped found what was then called the Diving Equipment Manufacturers Association. In 1992, Bonin was inducted into DEMA’s Hall of Fame.
Joe Stella, group vice president for diving at ScubaPro, said of Bonin:
“The passing of Dick Bonin, our founder, saddens us all. If it were not for Dick’s hard work and vision, ScubaPro would not exist.
“Not only did he form a brand, he formed an industry — most of us are diving thanks to him. Many of us at ScubaPro have been able to spend time with Dick — some of us were even lucky to work side by side with him.”

More information in this article:
Dick Bonin, Co-Founder of Scubapro, Dies | Scuba Diving

Rest in peace Mr. Bonin. A true dive legend. Dick was unassuming and friendly to all.

A champion free diver, USN UDT officer, co-founder of Scuba Pro. His list of accomplishments
is long.

I had the great good fortune to meet Dick when I first joined the SCUBA industry. I was assigned to
attend a meeting of the Diving Equipment Manufacturers Assoc. I was the youngest one @ the meeting.
The first person to walk up, extend his hand, and welcome me to the meeting was Dick Bonin.

A great man. Thoughts and prayers to his family and many friends.

It is always hard to see a " Legend of the SCUBA industry " pass, RIP

Dick Bonin's contribution to the sport and to humanity can never be measured.

As Bret Gilliam previously stated " Dick Bonin, the co-founder of Scubapro, was been responsible for some of the most technically advanced equipment lines the industry has ever seen. For those who started diving in the late 1960s or early 1970s, the Scubapro line was revered as the Rolls-Royce of scuba diving. Virtually all other manufacturers were viewed as “also rans” who played second fiddle to the stuff that was stamped with the memorable “S” logo and marked a person as a serious, committed diver." Bret also added, "Dick Bonin was a mentor, friend, fellow diver, and the single best example of how to conduct yourself in business that I ever met. "

Dick Bonin changed the sport of diving. Few people have had a greater impact. Today's marketing, business and engineering classes would still learn from his achievements fifty years ago.But he also changed my life. He was kind, accessable and always willing to help.He was bright, knowledgable and to me, a hero.

We are so much better for his presence on earth.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom