Scubapro D-series parts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R

redacted

I picked up a couple more D-series regs - not really sure why but got away with telling my wife/buddy that she needed one. I'm not sure she believed me>:shakehead: One is in such great shape that I will probably dive it without rebuilding it first. But the other needed some work. First, it is missing the thrust washer. Vacuum test was good without the washer so I am wondering if there is any reason I can't get away without it. (But if anyone has a spare one for sale, I'm interested.) I looked at McMaster-Carr for a substitute but nothing with 2.25" OD in plastic; only 18-8 stainless which I am tempted to try. I also noticed it had the old orange poppet and it has a plastic washer between the poppet and the spring which does not show on my 12/97 schematic. I assume this was an unsuccessful attempt to prevent the spring from "winding up" during adjustment. Even though I probably have enough D-series kits on hand to last the rest of my life, I took an old poppet apart to look at possibly flipping the seat, there are 4 manufacturing marks on the back side but they are much shallower that the set that seat takes so I may give it a try just for kicks. Anybody else tried it? Finally, I also took the oppoetunity to measure the o-ring on the bottom of the poppet. Looks to me like a std metric o-ring; 1mm wide, 4mm ID and 6mm OD. Anybody else checked it out. Also, anybody know if SP is still supporting the LP molded seat (11-015-015) as a separate repair part?

One other question. The rubber exhaust cover is also starting to degrade. Anyone found a way to extend their life once theyu start to shed dried bits of rubber? I was thinking little cleaning and a coat of neoprene cement might do the trick.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Awap,
I just picked up a D300 That needed a little work great reg.
I'm a little confused on the thrust washer, is it the one on top of the diaphragm?
Scubapro does still supports this reg.
If needed I my still have most of these parts on hand.
I've got quite a few of these seats left.
Don't flip the seat, there's no seating surface on the flip side.
PM me about the thrust washer on its location in the reg and I just might have you covered.
IMO the D series was one of the best Scubapro 2 stages made till the upgrades started.

The new seats that I have are not flippable; one side seems to have a hard surface either laminated or coated. Maybe you should consider making a few? We also need to get o-rings for the balance spool, and there's a tiny one under the plastic "cap" that holds the seat in place. I don't think that one is particularly important to replace, but the balance spool one is probably worth finding.

I'll bring you a new seat next time we dive, if you'd like. I also have a regular round o-ring sized for the dive/predive lever if you want to try to wrestle it in place. I'm kind of curious to see how that would go.

I had a tear in one of my D300 purge covers, and I used a little aquaseal in it. No problems since. As you know, it's stressed on removal and installation, but otherwise it doesn't take much abuse.

akscubaduck, if you have D series seats, I'd like to buy them.

That little o-ring is the same as is used between the poppet & balance chamber on the G250 et al. I'll have to look more closely at the old seats. They looked to me to be injection molded about a small brass collar. I don't have much hope for getting anything usable from flipping it but I need something to do on a cold rainy day. I was debating Aquaseal vs neoprene cement and decided to try the softer cement first in the hope that it will flex rather than pull the old and brittle rubber apart.

Since those parts may still be supported by scubapro, I'm going to try my usual source before I hit up somebody's stash. I had estimated the size of the lever o-ring but have not tried using a std o-ring yet. I don't think it would be too difficult to push a std o-ring into the groove once the screw is started. Then again, I have asked myself if I really needed that pre-dive capability.

The s-wing poppet o-rings are much too small for the D series balance spool. ( I tried one) I guess you mean that those o-rings fit on the seat end of the D series poppet. As far as the pre-dive lever, maybe you don't need it but you will need to seal the case, so, lever or not, the switch has to be installed with the o-ring. But I'm sure you know this. I'm glad you got some extra D series regs, and I'm ready to spend money on seats and balance spool o-rings if you can find them. I can try getting a few more from the same shop I got the few that I have.

I'm still looking for MK10 spec boots if anyone has a couple of them.

Count me in on seats and balance spool o-rings if anyone is looking at a group buy.

awap - That o-ring on the bottom is a std metric like you figured (at least the metric ones I got fit and work).

Also, if anyone knows where I might find an exhaust valve or two, I would appreciate the info.

Back
Top Bottom