Scubapro DCAR tank valve with gauge.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich Keller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Does anyone have experience overhauling a Scubapro DCAR tank valve with the pressure gauge built into the back of the valve. I have two that I want to put back into service and have been told that most of the parts can be found except for part #14-152-106 poppet. This was apparently the weak link in this item and very hard to find since Scubapro stopped making the part. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The only reason to replace the poppet is if you break the top section that captures the little O-ring. If you are careful, you should not need to replace that part.

That O-ring with the poppet works as a small piston to increase the reserve pressure as a function of depth. There is a small hole at the top of the valve where water enter and pushes on the top of the poppet.

When you unscrew the top cap on the valve you just need to be careful not to put any bending load on that part. Soak any parts in vinegar if they are hard to take apart.

I have one of those poppets in my parts kits from the 1970's, but that is the only one I have. I still have two of those valves that occasionally I think about putting back on a tank. I used to really like those valves.

Note: the reserve section of the valve is not pressurized when the valve is shot off. Therefore, you can work on the reserve even if the valve is mounted on a full tank.

If you do break that little stem, there are a couple of work around that can be used to be able to use the valve. The depth compensated function may not perform as well, but the valve and reserve should work fine.

Good luck

---------- Post added June 2nd, 2013 at 11:36 AM ----------

I just thought of another easy work around if you break that stem, but hopefully you will not needed.

Here is a copy of the 1981 diagram.

DCARtankvalve_zps2fc6a42d.jpg

Hi! I just acquired two of these valves that I would like to bring back to life. One is leaking from the pressure gauge and the other is missing the tiny o-ring for the poppet. Any information on the sizes for the poppet and pressure gauge stem o-rings would be greatly appreciated!

I have three of these valves, and two are in service. I have one set for a reserve of 300 psig, and the other higher (~500 psig, as I recall). They both work pretty well, but the stem gauge is not real accurate. This reserve valve was developed in the early days of cave diving, from the legend I heard, and the ability of the reserve lever to be reversed and the higher reserve pressure was at the request of cave divers (if my memory is correct, the source of this information as Larry Murphy, Diving Supervisor at the Warm Mineral Springs Underwater Archaeological Project in Florida that I dived on in 1975). With the lever reversed, it cannot be knocked down by bumping it on a rock wall or ceiling.

SeaRat

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom