ScubaPro first stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Doc I believe that if you purchase a Scubapro reg. on line the warrenty at your LDS will not be valid. If you send it back to dive-in for yearly maint. they should cover the warrenty. Your LDS should work on the reg if they are a service center for that company but will you be last in line if a customer that purchases there equip. there comes in for service?

I also believe that other manu. also delete warrenty if purchased online, best to check the comp. policies first.

chuckrt

Diving Doc, any regulator which comes directly from the dealer should be already factory adjusted to the recommended settings. Just like you, however, I keep hearing this other "tune". Sounds bogus to me. True, some folks do change the settings but I assume it's personal preference and not a reflection on functionality of the unit as delivered from the factory. Those high end regs cost too much not to be spot on right out of the box.

Yes, all those regs you cited are expensive. They should represent a good investment though. I don't see obsolescense occurring anytime within a decade or so.

Since you seem anxious about dealer support it might be better to go with a LDS. I don't think anybody is trying to talk you out of that. I feel the same way, about my desktop computer.

Originally posted by devjr

Since you seem anxious about dealer support it might be better to go with a LDS. I don't think anybody is trying to talk you out of that. I feel the same way, about my desktop computer.

Now with our computers -- we mostly fix them or buy and install parts ourselves. But then, computers are not life support equipment. I would have no idea how to tune a reg. myself. :confused:

Trying to cover some of your questions: You asked how similar are Apeks and Zeagle? They used to be together. I believe all of the parts swap in the ones before 2001. Zeagle has tweaked the performance and improved sensitivity to freeflow, plus they're made right here in the USA. Their Flathead exceeds Naval standard for 198' at 300'. The 50D offers the flexibility of the swivel turret. Both are an environmentally sealed first stages requiring very little maintenance.
Apeks has introduced some different models.
I've heard that some of the mailorder regs, (one brand specifically), from a specific location, have no serial numbers, but I cannot confirm this. Might be deterrant to mail order? Perhaps others will add to this?
I recently had the chance to rebuild a Zeagle second stage.
I must admit that I was severely impressed! It had WELL over a hundred dives on it and the only part that showed any wear at all was the poppet, (the part prone to wear in most any reg). So simple to perform so great.
I have dealt with Leisure Pro with good results, but what you say about you LDS shows a lot of wisdom. Local parts and service can mean everything. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Norm

Back
Top Bottom