Scubapro G2 Console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobPNW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have the opportunity to get a new one of these for $300 off. The specs looks pretty good to me as a recreational diver. And it has features that I may grow into. One of my priorities is readability without being huge.

Ultimately, I would like to have a console as a back up and use a wrist AI watch as my primary computer. I am waiting for more color screen watch options to make it to the market in the next couple years. In the meantime, I can use the console solely. Hell, I still use a Casio watch and a dive table right now.

Bottom line, does anyone have real world experience with the G2 console? If so, please share your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

If known, please elaborate on these things:

The online manual says the screen layouts and colors are customizable. That could mean a lot of things.

The pictures of the digital compass online look pretty nice but how does it track? Any calibration issues?

Make sure you are happy with the proprietary Buhlmann ZH-L16 ADT MB decompression algorithm and all of the variables that may be part of it (microrbubble level, profile dependent intermediate stops, heart rate, skin temperature, breathing rate). It is my impression that the underlying algorithm is moderate to conservative.

Make sure you are happy with the proprietary Buhlmann ZH-L16 ADT MB decompression algorithm and all of the variables that may be part of it (microrbubble level, profile dependent intermediate stops, heart rate, skin temperature, breathing rate). It is my impression that the underlying algorithm is moderate to conservative.

If you have an inclination of going beyond recreational ever a console G2 would be a poor investment. You can’t use any kind planner software to approximate scubapro’s proprietary algorithm.

I’d stick to something you can plan around like a Shearwater (Perdix or Teric)

Sometimes a "deal" is only a deal for the seller. $300 off is a good price, but does it really fill your needs.

Ultimately, I would like to have a console as a back up and use a wrist AI watch as my primary computer

On of the main reason to get a wrist AI Dive Computer is to eliminate the console/SPG hose. I'm not saying that you can't do it that way, but a console may not be what you want to hang at the end of that hose.

Look before you leap.

Cheers - M²

I noticed that a number of the SP computers offer the integration of a HRM and other body metrics into it's calculations. Do other OEMs have HRM integration?

If you have an inclination of going beyond recreational ever a console G2 would be a poor investment. You can’t use any kind planner software to approximate scubapro’s proprietary algorithm.

I’d stick to something you can plan around like a Shearwater (Perdix or Teric)
I REALLY like the underwater looks of the Teric's display. I may just bite the bullet and get one.

On of the main reason to get a wrist AI Dive Computer is to eliminate the console/SPG hose. I'm not saying that you can't do it that way, but a console may not be what you want to hang at the end of that hose.

Look before you leap.

Cheers - M²
I know there's mixed opinions on this. For me, if I were doing mostly tropical diving, it would be nice to eliminate a hose and a piece of bulky gear. Where I am we do mostly drysuit diving in about 42F. So you got bulk on regardless and carry a bunch of weight and gear.

Ultimately, I would like to have a computer and backup for redundancy. I would use the watch primarily because it's on my arm and convenient. I wouldn't have to take it out, stow it away, rinse and repeat. As a backup, the console would be on me and available in the event of an emergency but would likely spend the whole dive stowed under a BC strap or something and I wouldn't even notice it.

I don't think so. How Scubapro implements them is not known either
So I guess the question is what's more important, having the HRM and other physiological metrics integrated into the computer algorithms or having more knowledge and control over the algorithm. I'm not implying either is better because I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom