Scubapro G250V vs A700 for shallow warm, water diving - Any real difference??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes barracuda like to nip at shiny silvery stuff. I had one hit the scooter ring on my crotch strap once,that was kinda scary. Performance wise, you won't notice a difference in those second stages really.

Sometimes barracuda like to nip at shiny silvery stuff. I had one hit the scooter ring on my crotch strap once,that was kinda scary. Performance wise, you won't notice a difference in those second stages really.

Barracuda and the scooter ring on your crotch strap..................might be the makings of a bad day.

I am not a onwer of A700, my question is how easy is it to take off the front cover for cleaning (NOT underwater) after diving? I asked because I had quite many diving with sandy beach entries. Sand get in everywhere. Being able to take off front cover, purge diaphram for cleaning is quite nice.

Both very nice options to be sure. Let me tell you my story which had a similar choice. About 25 years ago, I was in need of a good regulator for doing warm water commercial work (in a filthy harbor, diving inverted for hours at a time - hull scraping). My two choices were either the Conshelf XIV (chrome 2nd) or the Conshelf SE (plastic second). Due mainly to the inverted position I had to use, I went with the SE because it was a drier breathing regulator than the XIV (less condensation on plastic than on chrome plated brass). So I actually had a legitimate and measurable reason to go with the plastic second stage. Fast forward 25 years, with my commercial diving long behind me, and a collection of lots of regulators, I still use my SE regularly. But I also have and use a couple of XIVs, AMF MR12IIs, and other vintage single hose regulators too; basically with the exception of my SE and a Mares MR12 Proton, all of my single hose stuff is chrome 2nd. Why? Because it looks so much better, and I appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into chrome plating brass more than extruding polymers. If you are looking to keep this regulator for a good long time, go for the chrome, get the A700.

I am not a onwer of A700, my question is how easy is it to take off the front cover for cleaning (NOT underwater) after diving? I asked because I had quite many diving with sandy beach entries. Sand get in everywhere. Being able to take off front cover, purge diaphram for cleaning is quite nice.

It's very easy to remove and replace the cover. That being said, if you aren't careful, you could lose one (or more) of the tiny o-rings that seal the torx screws.

Both of these regulators are excellent top of the line regulators. Metal regulators do help dry mouth but do not eliminate it. Also the G250 does have a metal air barrel that reduces the difference. For shallow warm water diving both are overkill. If you like the reg and have the money then buy it. If not then look to one of the close out Subgear Caymans (MK17/S555) an excellent regulator for the price.

If you haven't bought your regulators yet you should give Casey a call at Beaverdivers he was very helpful about choosing a regulator for some students of mine.

If you haven't bought your regulators yet you should give Casey a call at Beaverdivers he was very helpful about choosing a regulator for some students of mine.

Funny that you recommend Casey at Beaver Divers.
I just bought a Scubapro MK 25 (used) with a new A700 from Casey and Emily yesterday. Absolutely first class people and Casey gave me a GREAT deal.
This is a great regulator to mark the 40th anniversary of when I learned to dive, 1972 - I was 13.

I miss the Leisurepro deals from the good ole days when they were unauthorized. :depressed:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom