Scubapro Galileo 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer the Suunto system that automatically starts the safety stop timer at less than 20 ft and continues as long as you stay in the 20-10 ft band. That’s why I activate the G2 timer manually.

This is something that should be completely trivial to allow the user to specify.
I agree that the behavior you describe above would be an appropriate default value.

I'm inching closer to making a G2 purchase, and this is something that would seem to me to be an obvious setting, especially as the marketing for this device seems to be "easy to use, easy to [insert buzzword]...".

This is something that should be completely trivial to allow the user to specify.
I agree that the behavior you describe above would be an appropriate default value.

I'm inching closer to making a G2 purchase, and this is something that would seem to me to be an obvious setting, especially as the marketing for this device seems to be "easy to use, easy to [insert buzzword]...".
The safety stop issue is really not a big deal and only a factor when shore diving and making a slow ascent from 20 to 15 ft. Otherwise whether the computer starts the timer at 15 or 20ft makes little difference.

That's good to know, I want to get this computer in 2018. If the safety stop issue is a small problem I think I'd still get it.

I held a G2 in my hands on Saturday and played with it for a few minutes at Olympus Dive Center, in Morehead City, NC. It does allow remix and ccr. You just don't know how to use it.

I did not go fetch my Perdix and compare them side by side. But, I had been diving my Perdix for several straight days, including that morning. The G2 screen looked a bit smaller, to me.

I did not see it in Dive mode, but in the surface mode, I went into the menus. The writing on the screen in that mode seemed smaller than the writing shown on a Perdix screen. But, I normally wear reading glasses and I *could* read the G2 without my glasses, so it's not like it is TOO small.

From the Main menu, I scrolled down and went into the Settings submenu. Once I was in there, I could not find any way to get back to the Main menu. The 3 buttons (in that mode) were for Up, Down, and Select, and there was no menu entry in the Settings menu that represented "go back" or "Main". In short, I did not think it was very intuitive at all.

I did like the 3 buttons. They felt solid and the position at the top should make them much less likely to press by accident than the buttons on my Perdix.

All in all, the size and the screen make it a direct competitor to the Perdix - for recreational divers - in my book. The G2 manual talks about CCR and Trimix support, but the actual unit only allowed for Nitrox (no Trimix).

All in all, the slightly smaller screen, the proprietary algorithm, the non-user replaceable battery, the non-intuitive menu navigation, and the price would have me buying a Shearwater Perdix over the G2 any day of the week. No contest. Even if I already had a SP transmitter, I would just sell the SP transmitter and buy the Perdix AI with a matching transmitter for it. If the G2 were $200 or more cheaper than the Perdix, then I might consider the G2 for someone who had zero tech diving aspirations.

ScubaPro really should have brought the H3 to market, with AI, in my opinion. I dived my H3 and my Perdix AI together all last week and they were both awesome. My H3 continues to be flawless and matches the Perdix within 1 foot and 1 minute of deco at all times.

Any one have experience with battery change in the G2 transmitter. after approx. 200 dives, while in Bonaire 3 weeks ago my G2 wrist unit lost signal, intermittently and randomly. Sometimes I got a got pressure reading for 2-3 minutes, then I'd lose the signal for multiple minutes, totally random. I swapped out the battery with a fresh 2/3aa cell, without relief,
I sent the transmitter back, under warranty via my local dive shop, where I bought the G2 and 3 days ago I was told that because I put a 3.6 volt 2/3 aa in the transmitter, instead of a 3.0 volt cell, that I violated the warranty. I had sent a letter along with my transmitter explaining that the failure occurred BEFORE the battery change, so far no resolution. I checked the manual online, while in Bonaire, and there is no specification listed for what voltage rating is required, just "CR2/3 AA battery" page 91. I rechecked the manual again today and that is still the case.
Any input would be appreciated.

Any one have experience with battery change in the G2 transmitter. after approx. 200 dives, while in Bonaire 3 weeks ago my G2 wrist unit lost signal, intermittently and randomly. Sometimes I got a got pressure reading for 2-3 minutes, then I'd lose the signal for multiple minutes, totally random. I swapped out the battery with a fresh 2/3aa cell, without relief,
I sent the transmitter back, under warranty via my local dive shop, where I bought the G2 and 3 days ago I was told that because I put a 3.6 volt 2/3 aa in the transmitter, instead of a 3.0 volt cell, that I violated the warranty. I had sent a letter along with my transmitter explaining that the failure occurred BEFORE the battery change, so far no resolution. I checked the manual online, while in Bonaire, and there is no specification listed for what voltage rating is required, just "CR2/3 AA battery" page 91. I rechecked the manual again today and that is still the case.
Any input would be appreciated.
That would be comical if you weren't getting screwed. Also, are you sure that you have the voltages correct? I think you might have it backwards. My Galileo transmitter shipped with a 2/3aa battery, and was replaced by scubapro service centers with 2/3aa batteries several times until the dealer put a ER14335 in it. The better battery pretty much solved my transmitter problems.
I posted about my experience and the new battery here: Scubapro Galileo Luna Or Sol Transmitter Battery

This was with the original Galileo. AFAIK the transmitter is the same for the G2.

Thanks for the reply, the Varda 3.0 cell was in the unit when it started acting up (original battery), I replaced it with a Tenergy 3.6 volt in Bonaire, and that's the battery that was in the unit when we shipped it off for warranty service
I've been diving since 1975, worked in a dive shop in college, servicing Mark V/VII 109 regs, using Spro gear near exclusively, have 5 Spro regs, on my 4th or 5th BC, untold # of wetsuits, masks, etc. I'm drawing the line with this, if they don't honor the warranty. Nowhere does it say what voltage battery to use, just a "CR2/3AA" .
if they screw me on this I'm done with them, Dive Rite makes good quality gear and has excellent support. We'll see what my LDS has to say once they call Spro.

Thanks for the reply, the Varda 3.0 cell was in the unit when it started acting up (original battery), I replaced it with a Tenergy 3.6 volt in Bonaire, and that's the battery that was in the unit when we shipped it off for warranty service
I've been diving since 1975, worked in a dive shop in college, servicing Mark V/VII 109 regs, using Spro gear near exclusively, have 5 Spro regs, on my 4th or 5th BC, untold # of wetsuits, masks, etc. I'm drawing the line with this, if they don't honor the warranty. Nowhere does it say what voltage battery to use, just a "CR2/3AA" .
if they screw me on this I'm done with them, Dive Rite makes good quality gear and has excellent support. We'll see what my LDS has to say once they call Spro.
I also looked it up and the manual does not mention the battery voltage, so before you give up make your argument to Scubapro that you replaced the battery with the one specified in the user manual and you expect them to honor the warranty.

I called the dive shop they are in contact with the regional sales rep, hopefully I'll speak to him tomorrow.

I just got off the phone with the Spro regional manager. Nice guy. They are replacing the transmitter under warranty, no charge. It took a few phone calls , but they are doing the right thing!
Thanks for the input and support!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom