ScubaPro Glide X - Any Opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I need a new BCD for instruction (lost 70 lbs and my XXL no longer fits, but a Large does :) ) and have been considering the ScubaPro Glide X. Has anyone used it and do you have an opinion? I have used a shop BDC simular but an older version. It worked pretty good for what I was looking for...just wondering what others thought of the newer version.

Here is what ScubaPro website says:

glidex.jpg

This new BC will allow you to experience extremely comfortable diving. The SCUBAPRO exclusive wrap-around air bladder retains its cradle like shape even when fully inflated. Fully adjustable, it comes with an integrated weight system and a wide range of exceptional features.

• Super Cinch Tank Band
  • Fabric: N 420D/N 420 D
  • QR Front Weight Integration
  • Weight Integration Back Trim
  • 4 stainless steel D-Rings
  • Fully Adjustable Cummerbund
  • Knife Grommets
  • Padded Back Pack
  • QR Rotating Shoulder Buckles
  • 2 Zip Pockets

That is what I am hearing too...just maybe a little more wrap around of the bladder.

I mainly dive with a BP/W and plan to use the BCD pretty much strictly for teaching, so I want to try and get the best product that meets my needs just once.

I dive bpw anddoubles mainlynow, tai my bc when i travel, its very durable and comfortable, plus has 2 big pockets and plenty of d rings, could be a little lighter tho

Why not just use your plate and wing? That's what I teach in.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Jim,

I agree that teaching in a plate & wing is fine. But the shop's owner wants me in similar gear as the students and brands they sell. As an AI I teach mainly Discovery and Refresher courses. Here in the Denver area we are predominantly recreational divers and BCDs rule...not that they are any better :wink:... it is just what most people want. So since most of my instructional contact is in the pool, I am going with a BCD too.

However, on the open water dives, where I am assisting, I use my plate & wing to show the students there is another way of to configure your gear. My affiliated shop is also the only GUE shop within many states. Their brand of choice is Halcyon, but can order DiveRite. So to wear "shop available" gear, I use my DiveRite setup.

I lost 70 lbs this past year and have about 20 more to go to meet my goal. So I needed (or at least wanted) a new & smaller BCD anyways, plus I will not pay full retail so that is nice to me :d

~Oldbear~

I have a fleet of these that I use for students. They are an excellent and durable BCD. I use it for confined water and then switch to Wing/BP for Open Water dives.

****FYI-there is a small design flaw on this BCD, the waist strap comes undone from the plastic backplate frequently. I have lost about 10 of the retainers. Since there is nothing to prevent it, the retainers on the waist belt eventually just comes undone from the backplate and fall off. If you check it frequently it shouldn't be any more than a slight inconvenience.

Last edited:
I have a fleet of these that I use for students. They are an excellent and durable BCD. I use it for confined water and then switch to Wing/BP for Open Water dives.

****FYI-there is a small design flaw on this BCD, the waist strap comes undone from the plastic backplate frequently. I have lost about 10 of the retainers. Since there is nothing to prevent it, the retainers on the waist belt eventually just comes undone from the backplate and fall off. If you check it frequently it shouldn't be any more than a slight inconvenience.

Thanks for the warning SGM...I greatly appreciate it. :)

I put my order in with my shop yesterday...I think I am going to like this BCD.

Back
Top Bottom