Scubapro Gorilla Orange

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Findol

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm a fairly new diver and was out today at Sharks Cove, testing my scuba skills while enjoying the easy dive site with my buddy. However, after our dive we started chatting up with a few of the other divers in the area and one asked me about my fins, asking if I was a instructor and where I work at. I told him that I was actually pretty brand new to the whole scuba thing and was not an instructor by any means. He gave me a funny look and told me that he thought the orange colour was for instructors only but left it at that.

I haven't heard of this before and was a bit confused at the statement, is it true that this specific colour is mainly for instructors? I got them from my LDS, so I would assume they would have warned them but they may of been unaware themselves if so.

Thanks you all!

Yea, don't worry you can wear whatever colour fins you like... I think they originally marketed them for instructor use because they are easy to identify for the students.

There was actually an interesting thread about this a few years ago you might want to take a look at.

Personally, I wouldn't think you were an instructor if I saw you with orange fins. Though my fins are blue, I've seen lots of different colored gear while diving. :)

Hi there!

Thank you for the quick responses! Good to know most don't care if the colour means anything. Seems it's actually a fairly unpopular choice of colour lol.

Hi there!

Thank you for the quick responses! Good to know most don't care if the colour means anything. Seems it's actually a fairly unpopular choice of colour lol.

On the contrary I see Orange Fins more and more they seem to be quite popular in an around Sydney. Personally I like to have a bit of colour in my dive gear other than black.

Scubapro initially only sold the orange Seawing Gorillas to instructors- everyone else got white. Obviously they now sell them to everyone.

Hi there!

I'm a fairly new diver and was out today at Sharks Cove, testing my scuba skills while enjoying the easy dive site with my buddy. However, after our dive we started chatting up with a few of the other divers in the area and one asked me about my fins, asking if I was a instructor and where I work at. I told him that I was actually pretty brand new to the whole scuba thing and was not an instructor by any means. He gave me a funny look and told me that he thought the orange colour was for instructors only but left it at that.

I haven't heard of this before and was a bit confused at the statement, is it true that this specific colour is mainly for instructors? I got them from my LDS, so I would assume they would have warned them but they may of been unaware themselves if so.

Thanks you all!
A few years back Scubapro marketed the Orange colored Novas for Dive Professionals. The dealers that ordered them often sold them to whoever had the money. Now Orange is a standard color on the Seating Nova Gorilla and available to anybody.

Back
Top Bottom