Scubapro Hydros as Travel BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

why not get a BP/W for less than half of that.
It is not that cheap for a B/Wing systems here , I have 2 with SS and Al plates, a Scubapro X-Tex and a HOG .
Even the the so called cheaper HOG Al plate and wing and one piece harness is only $157AU or $103 US cheaper than the Hydros Pro, and with a SS plate it is about $50US cheaper.
As for a Halcyon system, you have to sell a kidney, I like them ....But $$$.
There are plenty of B/Wings that on close inspection are rubbish, the Scubapro and Halcyon systems are not, they are both made well.

As a side note, I have the Scubapro B/Wing with SS plate for sale on this site [for Aussie buyers].

There is a qualifier , we buy Scubapro cheaper over here, still premium .

I realize you didn't ask but if you're going to get a back inflate BC for $1k+, why not get a BP/W for less than half of that. An AL plate and wing will have you packed at around 6lbs and take up very little space...

:popcorn:
We have looked at bp/w setups but my wife is dead set against crotch straps and doesn't want to go that austere. I just went to a shop and looked at a Hydros Pro and was very surprised at the weight. It felt twice as heavy as the Litehawk. Being packable is great, but we still have to carry it so I think we may pass on the Hydros and look at the newer Cressi Travelight or Scorpion. Appreciate the replies.

You might also want to look at the Zeagle Covert. I've been using the original for years (including on a Raja Ampat liveaboard) and it's been bombproof and ridiculously easy to travel with.

We have looked at bp/w setups but my wife is dead set against crotch straps and doesn't want to go that austere. I just went to a shop and looked at a Hydros Pro and was very surprised at the weight. It felt twice as heavy as the Litehawk. Being packable is great, but we still have to carry it so I think we may pass on the Hydros and look at the newer Cressi Travelight or Scorpion. Appreciate the replies.

Take a look at the Scubapro Blackhawk 2. It is very light, durable, comfortable and packs very compact.

Switched over to BP/W setup now, but used have a Hydros Pro. It travels great! I used to have my whole warm water setup in my carry on (minus fins). Lugging it around the airport, I didn't really think the weight was that bad.

I got a Hydros pro several years ago (I think I have been diving it for 7 years) and have enjoyed using it. Nothing has broken or fallen off or ripped, but I only average about 4-5 weeks of diving per year. Maybe it would not hold up so well to heavier use?

It is the first version before some of the improvements. I took off the bulky weight pockets and use the belt/harness that also comes with the Hydros, with a couple of small weight pockets. For me, I find it does not shift around on my back in the water, dries quickly and packs up very small, making travel easier. For airline travel, BCD size matters to me more than a couple pounds more or less weight. I have traveled and dived with people using BPW systems and have seen no benefit for the type of diving/traveling that I do A BPW can be assembled more cheaply and can take up even less room in luggage. But a steel backplate would be a weight issue for me, and a light plate wold mean adding weight pockets or a weight belt. The Hydros is a back inflate aircell attached to a "plate" but with traditional adjustabel shoulder and waist belt, so it is easy to don and doff and to adjust for different wetsuit thicknesses. I have no plans to dive doubles or dry suits, etc., so that is not an concern. Cost of the Hydros is not an issue for me, especially if it can last for years.

A few years ago, my wife decided to get one as well, after seeing me packing and using mine. If mine were to get stolen or ruined, I would get another. But, it may not fit you, you may want something lighter, you may want to do the backplate, wing, hogarthian kind of thing, or whatever, and that is all fine, too. But in answer to your question...the Hydros pro works well for travel, in my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom