Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD - Monoprene attachment hole ripped

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This really sucks. Didn't they also have breakage issues when the seawing nova was first released? Same material...right?

IMG_0899.JPG
I have 60 dives on mine. The monoprene shoulder straps have ripped at the shoulder pin...twice. I am waiting on the LDS to get the parts to replace them again. They were replace by Scubapro the first time. Scubapro stated that the BCD should never be picked up by the shoulder straps and always use the handle molded into the backplate. I used to hang the BCD up on a BCD hanger, but the straps do not seem to be able to hold the wait of the empty BCD without tearing the Monoprene where it attaches to the hinge pin.

Overall, I am finding the Hydros Pro a very fragile BCD.

I only used 20 dives then got same issue.
One side had big damaged, another side can see crack.

Attached few pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0898.JPG
    IMG_0898.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 1,509
How can you tell if you have the reinforced version? I just got mine a few weeks ago. Will be diving with it soon. Hope I don't develop these issues down the road...
v5crb7.jpg

ezpu8j.jpg

I have had no problems so far with about 20 dives. I have to talked to others with it who have many more dives than that with no problems. I will be on the lookout and I will use the handle to pick up but I am not concerned at the moment. I really love diving with it.

I've done shore dives with my Hydros pro with a steel 130 without issues, including slinging that beast on one shoulder at a time. I do always get a little nervous about it though.

IMG_1155.JPG
How can you tell if you have the reinforced version? I just got mine a few weeks ago. Will be diving with it soon. Hope I don't develop these issues down the road...
View attachment 436781
View attachment 436782
My HYDROS Pro just back from Scubapro.

They only said
"Your BCD shoulder strap used oldest version. so change to new version"
"If broken here, inside still have nylon strap so don't worry about safety"

I asked more deep details like
"until which serial number used old version strap?"
"I have some fiends who use HYDROS Pro, I want let them know need check your strap"
"BCD is safety goods for Scuba, so we must know more official announce"

I still haven't received any response ....

Last edited:
View attachment 437239

My HYDROS Pro just back from Scubapro.

They only said
"Your BCD shoulder strap used oldest version. so change to new version"
"If broken here, inside still have nylon strap so don't worry about safety"

"I have some fiends who use HYDROS Pro, I want let them know need check your strap"

I wonder why they just couldn't send you the strap and you do it yourself or have an LDS do it. At least that was part of the marketing I saw when I got mine regarding the user level maintenance of the BCD.

I had my shoulder straps repaired by Scubapro Australia. As I live in Papua New Guinea, it was a major issue getting it down to the dealer.... and a pain to get it back up here. Anyway, I was super excited to have it back....... However, 10 dives later and one shoulder strap has gone again. I can't emphasize enough how careful I have been.

- I only put the bcd on when sitting down... so as not to put strain on the straps.
- I put both shoulder straps on and the waist belt on before I stand up.
- I never carry it by the shoulder straps... only by the moulded handle
- When people are helping me out of the water on to a boat... I always ask them to use the moulded handle.

I love the feel of this BCD in the water.... but this delicateness, is totally unexpected.

How can you tell if you have the reinforced version?

I was worried about my one as well and asked the shop to check with Scuba Pro Australia. The shop said that the issues are only present on 'much earlier models'.

On the same label as the Serial Number (which is found inside the right rear weight pocket) there's a date beside the bar-code which I assume is a date of manufacture. Mine says 25 Jan 2017. However, my BCD looks exactly like the above pic of failure (shoulder strap).

For those with failures if you could post that date it would be handy, also if anyone's got a before / after repair pic so we can see the difference please.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom