Scubapro Hydros Pro Trim Pockets Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Blackheart12A
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I am brand new to SB so I hope I’m posting in the correct place. While on a trip to Cozumel this past week I noticed that the fabric around the female portion of my trim portion clips seems to be fraying which I assume will lead to failure sooner rather than later. The boat I was on a few days ago (6 pack) also had a married couple who both had the Hydros Pro (HP) with similar damage. I purchased my HP in August 2023 and have approximately 80 dives on it, the couple I referred to only have 20 each on theirs. I am extremely diligent about my gear maintenance after each trip (e.g. two dives then return to base before afternoon/evening dives) and find it very concerning that 6/6 trim pockets on the same boat are in similar condition with such low miles. I called Scubapro and they told me I should be using soft weights and that if I chose to have them repair the HP shipping would be my responsibility. I thought this was an outrageous response to an obviously common problem on a new purchase. I am new to the diving community and have approximately 90 dives total. Has anyone else had these issues and any advice on how to proceed? I’m considering just getting it repaired and selling and buying a BP/W setup. I appreciate any advice, thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_5268.jpeg
    IMG_5268.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5267.jpeg
    IMG_5267.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_5266.jpeg
    IMG_5266.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_5265.jpeg
    IMG_5265.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_5264.jpeg
    IMG_5264.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 81
it looks like the cutout pulls in that area to expose the cut edge, mine isn’t frayed or torn so will let it go and see how it does in the future.
The same on one pocket, no tearing, small hole.
and have the same tearing.
Is it torn, or frayed ?
Put a bit of this in it, [or whatever you guys use over There] it sealed up the the cut edge for me .
Now if you are placing great lumps of lead over 3 lb in each pocket, that's another story.

Is it torn, or frayed ?
Seems torn, just pulled it out of the shed for a quick squiz so didn’t have a very close look. It’s a small tear at the apex of the buckle and I will definitely put a drop of aqua seal on it. Seem to be using a lot of that stuff on my wetsuit these days.

I will definitely put a drop of aqua seal on it
Not on it, in it, open up the small hole a little, careful now, you don't want to rip it, squeeze a 'blob' in, let dry for a few minutes and pinch together.
Works great, it will last years.

Make sure the aquaseal still has oozability to get in to where it has to before it can't
so squeeze it in and lightly clamp it and leave it rather than doing the job backward

still has oozability to get in to where it has to before it can't
Ooozability, I like it.
Yes, It does say " Let the cement dry for five minutes. Apply a second coat of the adhesive and let dry for 10 minutes. Once the second coat has dried, press the two pieces together and let them cure for 5-10 minutes."
let dry for a few minutes and pinch together.
Only a few minutes before it looses Ooozability is what I was trying to say, but I am no 'wordsmith'. :wink:

On closer and more considered inspection today, the holes at the apex of the clip receptacle are there by design. The cuts are how the clip is mounted into the material of the pocket flap. There is no sign of wear on mine so won't be adding any repair gunk to it at this stage.

There is no sign of wear on mine so won't be adding any repair gunk to it at this stage.
Sound good, I only did it for peace of mind, and you can't see the 'gunk'.
We Aussies have a way with words.
Gunk, goo, blob and the one that makes me laugh, oozability.:giggle:

Back
Top Bottom