Scubapro Jet Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MA.25

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Done 11 dives and i'm now starting to buy some gear, I have a mask/snorkel so now I need fins, I'm looking at the Scubapro Jet fins.

will their weight be an issue for a new diver, (I don't dive dry) will they just weigh my legs down so I'm vertical.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I've been using Jets and Rockets since I was a scrawny 12 or 13 year old (more than 20 yrs ago). I never felt their weight was an issue interfering with proper trim. You do get used to them to the point where other fins feel "lesser" when you find yourself forced to use plain soft blades. You end up sorely missing that extra umph of the jets getting a good bite on the water.

I have a set of Jets but prefer my Dive-rites since they are lighter. You can move some weight up to offset the problem but I must be horizontal or even slightly head down or Im surfaceing to tweek something.

I use all types of fins.
I used jets a couple of weeks ago and all I can tell you is that they must have done what I asked of them.

No, weight is not an issue with the jets.

They are very heavy, but it should not be an issue. I also dive "wet" an don't have issues with my left or feet "hanging" down. They are robust and will last you a 100 years!! The twin jets are also very good if you like split fins.

If you're concerned about weight, take a look at the OMS Slipstreams. Practically the same fin, at half the weight.

I have been using the same pair of Farrallon fins (very similar to the Jets) since 1983. The biggest difference is not really the weight, imo, but the force required to provide propulsion. The more flexible, lighter fins tend to be a bit easier on your calves, but may not provide that extra UMPH that Slamfire was talking about. Working your calf muscles alot can lead to foot/toe/calf cramping, especially if you mostly dive cold water. The more you use them, however, the less it occurs.

As with most dive gear, try as much as you can before you buy, and go with the fins that make you most comfortable.

Had SP Jets since 1978, issues - NONE..
regrets, yes actually trying other fin types.
I should not have bothered and just stuck with my trusty SP Jets. You'll have to pry them off my cold dead feet :)

I dive wet and got a pair of jet fins. Instantly hated them, the fit was horrible, they made my foot cramp up and i felt like i was finning with my toes. I got some spring straps for them and that made them so uncomfortable i used to take one off and swim along with one fin for a while to give my foot a rest.

A few dives later i love them. I entered a dive with them on and as i was bracing for the discomfort to my suprise i suddenly realised they felt incredibly comfy and by god i could shift with them. I think I just needed to get used to the weight and the fit :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom