Scubapro Jet Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, I don't. If you want a heavy fin for frog-kicking, then yes. If you want a neutral fin for frog-kicking then go with DiveRite. I would suggest that you start with something really middle of the road like Mares Avanti Quattros.

Your first fins will be what you base all future fin performance on and I see value in starting with a really good compromise fin and then going in your own direction...

There really isn't a beginners fin let alone an advanced fin. Fin designs offer different features and are used for different types of diving. Some are more affecient for frog kicking while others work well for the flutter kick. Many of my basic open water students have start out with the Jet / Rocket / RK style of fins. These style of fins are stiffer and heavier than other paddle fins. Some people do not like the weight, yet others want to the weight.

What you have to decide is what do you want out of a set fins. Are you purely a flutter kicker? If so, a split or innovative (ex. Nova Seawing) fin will work well for you. Do you want to be able to swim backwards and use the modified frog kick? If so, then the Jet style fin will be type you want. Again, it all goes back to what you want the fin to do for the type of kicking you use. Good luck and have fun.

I have the jet fins with the bungee straps for ease of use and I am pleased with them. I agree they are not the lightest on the market, and there is a level of personal preference with them, but I don't really have any complaints and as a beginner diver, I am sure you wouldn't know the difference regardless. Best of luck!

well I only have 4 dives to my name so far. I have tried the frog kick, but I definitely need lots practice as I'm not very comfortable when doing it. So for now I'm sticking with the flutter kick until I feel more comfortable with the frog kick.

What fin style would you recommend as I'm learning? I don't want anything that I have to overwork my legs to move in the water.

well I only have 4 dives to my name so far. I have tried the frog kick, but I definitely need lots practice as I'm not very comfortable when doing it. So for now I'm sticking with the flutter kick until I feel more comfortable with the frog kick.

What fin style would you recommend as I'm learning? I don't want anything that I have to overwork my legs to move in the water.

I bought a tried a pair of Jet Fins on my last dive trip as I want to work on my frog kick. Very heavy. On the last dive of that trip, I swapped with the DM and tried his Seawing Novas. Super light and comfortable. I think they would do pretty well in current too. I also have a pair of Force Fin Pros that I love. They are good for flutter kicking and are very comfortable to wear. So much so, they feel like you're not wearing fins.

So I think I'm going to go with the Mares Avanti Quattro. The Seawing Novas sure look good but the Mares are more than half the price and I don't want to spend so much money on my first fins and then decide I want to switch to Jet fins or other fins in a couple of months. I still have alot of equipment to buy.

Good choice , the Mares Avanti Quattro power is a great fin . Still has weight to it but
nothing as heavy as the Jet fins .
Sea Dwellers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom