Scubapro Mako titanium??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pazzo

Registered
Reaction score
hello everybody!! first post here... just curious if anybody has any info on this knife? i seem to only find results about ordering, etc from the UK.
scubapromakotitanium.jpg

Scubapro Mako Titanium Dive Knife Product Details

scroll down a bit
On the Cutting Edge - Scuba Diving Magazine

thanks

thx for the feedback!! :mooner: :)

here's some pics of the new knife, in case anybody was wondering... compared to my UK Blue Tang.

IMG_0265-1.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0263-1.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

I used to make knives. I had a few friends with titanium knives ask me to sharpen them. It's a weird metal, when you're putting an edge on one side, it kind of curls over, when you do the other side you kind of take off the curl but then it goes the other way. I don't like it as a knife material. You have some of these stainless dive knives with a Rockwell hardness of around 64, sharpen them every 5 years and you're good to go.

yea, i've heard it can be tough to sharpen titanium. i guess i'll have to get it 'professionally' sharpened!?

Just wanted to comment on the Mako. I purchased a stainless instead of the titanium for the sole reason of sparpening. My dive buddy has a U.K. titanium and both of our atempts to sharpen it were very fustrating! Thus my choice for stainless. I love the knife, the size, the sheath, and the sharpness! The only negative is the straps and hooks. I have had issues with the buckles comming apart or unsnapped. Not a huge problem but I dont like the idea of loosing it either! What I did personally was to put a elastic band through the sheath that goes around my arm. This is just in case both buckles fail! I would really like to mount it to my BCD. It is a cool knife! Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I am thinking about buying this knife (but I can only see it on the internet before buying). Is there any way to make holes into the sheath in order to fix it with screws on a BCD? Or can any owner of this knife comment about the way you wear it?

I would like to wear it on the BCD but this does not seem possible looking at the comments above (though I am not sure about this).

Thanks :) it was the best answer possible. It seems that what I want to do might be possible (enough to take the risk of ordering it). Jus that I'll take the steel one instead.

I'll post pictures If I manage to put into practice what I dream about in ~2-3 weeks.

I have managed to mount my Mako on the BCD.

Required items:
- two screws with conic head. head was 8mm in diameter, screw was 4mm in diameter, total length (including head) 15mm. They were a little longer, ~10mm I think would be perfect (but I didn't have available; I will replace them later)
- two nuts
- 4 collars that corrected the screw length (not needed if you find the right screw)
Required tools:
- some sharp tool to make holes in plastic; no need to heat the tool if it is sharp, because the plastic is soft.
- phillips screwdriver for the sheath screws
- screwdriver for the mounting screws.

I have first removed the rubber bands from the sheath. Then, I have unscrewed 3 small screws. By doing this, I have split the sheath in two parts (the back and the front part).

On my BCD, the distance between the mounting holes is 10cm. Luckily, there is a 10cm distance between the plastic wings that hold the rubber bands (so the nut is where the rubber band goes, without touching the blade at all).

I marked then drilled two 5 mm holes into the rubber-band fixing plastic wings (as you can see in the photo), then just fixed the screws.

The placing is perfect, the screws are not touching the blade at all. It looks like it was made to be put on a BCD.

The screw:
DSC06428.jpg

How it looks:
DSC06422.jpg

Top-down view:
DSC06423.jpg

Inside pocket view:
DSC06424.jpg

Back
Top Bottom