Scubapro MK17 G250V - Should or shouldn't I?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can convert it to DIN later when you start your tech route it you don't want to hastle the yoke conversion while your renting cylinders. But if your buying your tanks then go ahead with DIN.
And i'm just curious, does your lds stock the mk17 and g250v? Because the shop around me doesn't and when I asked about it they tried to push me into the 25 with the s600. They said they would order it but that was after a long and boring mk25/s600 pitch.

I would definitely get a din.

The din to yoke adapters are easy and take seconds to install. I always cary one.

XS Scuba, Dive Rite, Mares, Zeagle, and Hollis are just a few.

The MK17/G250V will work great. As far as DIN vs yoke, unless you are planning on using your own tanks with DIN fittings, get the yoke. In the U.S. and caribbean virtually all rental tanks and dive op tanks are yoke, and the DIN/yoke adapter puts the reg considerably closer to your head. This is especially annoying if you have a BP/W set up which holds the tank fairly high and close on your back.

Once you get into tech diving and doubles, believe me converting your regs to DIN (or just getting new regs for doubles) will be the LEAST of your gear expenses.

Many, probably most, divers who use doubles and single tanks have regs for each. In my case, my doubles regs are DIN and most of my single tank set ups are yoke.

Since you're interested in heading in the tech direction, I would also suggest you consider going for a BP/W style BC, but of course there are a zillion threads about that and we can only hope and pray that I didn't just start the zillionith and 1st.

Here's where I'm at with it now.

After researching some of the comments / suggestion that were made...
I am now leaning towards the MK25 with DIN to accompany the G250V and also purchase the DIN to Yoke adapter at the same time for when I don't use my own tanks. I'm planning on buying 2 HP100 steel cylinders with a pro type valve with the spin out adapter so that anyone can use my tanks.

To answer some questions:
1- I will be diving a Dive Rite BP/W set up that is almost complete now.

2- My LDS does stock all the current SP first and second stages.
I too was told I needed to purchase the S600 instead of the g250v at some of the shops I visited. I don't have anything against the S600 but I really like the g250v
(IMO the g250v is a work horse and it doesn't hurt that it's a bad @zz looking reg)

I will take a second here to "brag" about my LDS. A few weeks ago I hit all the LDS in my area. I was at each one for 30-45 minutes but knew within the first 3 minutes weather it was going to be "mine" or not. Once I made my choice I went the follow day to talk to them about their upcoming class schedule. I also went over some of the gear and they were actually talking me out of the more expensive stuff and selling me on the "mid" range equipment. They really impressed me with their sales attitude and willingness to stand behind their word on it. I guess I'm pretty lucky to have 4 LDS to choose from to call 1 of them mine.

Thanks to everyone for the great info.
I am very glad I joined SB. You guys are a fountain of knowledge!

I'm sure I'll be looking for some more opinions after I visit my LDS this weekend.

Timothy78

I am also a Scubapro Tec and when I went to class they showed us a clip where the attached over 100 2nd stages to a MK25, it supplied air with no problem until it finally froze after 10 minutes.

Wow. The port swivel must have looked like a flying saucer.
You should tell flotsam.

Hey timothy 78 you could run a walking driving find a dive shop etiquette course.

G250v is very good.

Klaatu barada nikto.

In my personal diving, to include (very) deep as well as wreck I prefer the MK25's because the balanced piston flows better/smoother at depth. I am also a Scubapro Tec and when I went to class they showed us a clip where the attached over 100 2nd stages to a MK25, it supplied air with no problem until it finally froze after 10 minutes.

Since you are a 'Scubapro Tec' I'm a little surprised you don't seem to realize that the MK25 higher flow capacity has essentially zero significance in actual diving, regardless of the depth. Any 2nd stage and tank valve has much lower capacity than either the MK25 or the MK17, resulting in, guess what, identical flow capacity for the two 1st stages when used with a scuba tank and a 2nd stage.

Now, if you're planning on diving with an unlimited high pressure air source with far greater flow capability than a scuba tank, and sharing that air with 20 or so of your closest friends simultaneously at depth, then, sure, the MK25 has a big advantage.

Actually, the hose routing on the MK25 is different, and for some (myself included) that is a real-life advantage.

Hard to beat a fifth port out the bottom of the spaceship when it's flying on an angle.

After researching some of the comments / suggestion that were made...
I am now leaning towards the MK25 with DIN to accompany the G250V and also purchase the DIN to Yoke adapter at the same time for when I don't use my own tanks. I'm planning on buying 2 HP100 steel cylinders with a pro type valve with the spin out adapter so that anyone can use my tanks......

1- I will be diving a Dive Rite BP/W set up that is almost complete now.

2- I too was told I needed to purchase the S600 instead of the g250v at some of the shops I visited.

I can almost guarantee you will not enjoy using the DIN/yoke adapter with your BP/W. But, live and learn, you can try it and when you get sick of banging your head into the reg, you can have the dive shop change the DIN for a yoke. Then eventually you'll get a DIN set for use with your tanks.

Lots of dive shops cling to the MK25/S600 set up as it's SP's top-of-the-line, except for the new A700. That's the only reason you heard that sales pitch; in reality, the G250V will work fantastic and if you ever go insane and decide to dive in extremely cold water, you'll have a reg that will handle the cold, especially with a sealed 1st stage.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the MK25; it's the latest of an extremely successful procession of SP balanced piston regs. One very nice thing about these regs is that they have superb IP stability over a large number of dives. The seats really last a long time.

... I am also a Scubapro Tec and when I went to class they showed us a clip where the attached over 100 2nd stages to a MK25, it supplied air with no problem until it finally froze after 10 minutes.....

I shouldn't do this in a Scubapro thread, but can't help myself :wink:

Mares did the same stunt nymber of years ago with 101 divers breathing from an Mr-22 diaphragm first stage, for 40 minutes... and no freeze up :wink: It's posted on their website.

I'd bet the Mk17 could do it too.

So, a good diaphragm first stage will supply all the air your 2nd stage can handle with ease, plus a OOA diver or two :wink: .

The rest is just marketing hype between the brands.

Best wishes.

i own the g250 mk17 din and i love it great price great performance killer warranty and no issues with the din. you won't be disappointed

Back
Top Bottom