Scubapro MK17 vs MK25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BobArnold8265

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm about to buy a new Scubapro Reg. I intend to use it only as a back-up but still want to get a good reliable unit. My question is which would be a better choice the MK17 or MK25. Is either more durable than the other ? Does it cost the same to service these or is one a little more expensive to maintain ? Any difference in performance ?? I'd appreciate any and all input.

Bob
P.S. I plan to combine either of these with a X650 second stage if that makes any difference

The MK17 should be cheaper to purchase (lower performance, but I don't think you will be able to tell the difference) and is better for cold water diving. The MK17 doesn't have a swivel turret (the MK25 does) so all the hoses conect to the body of the reg. The MK25 will cost more (higher peformance, swivel turret) and is a great warm water reg. ( eventhough I have had mine in 41 degree water with no problem). The cost of service should be the same with either reg. The X650 was the highest performing 2nd stage (on paper) but is not very popular and is being discontinued.

Just got back from using my MK25/X650 for a week in Bonaire. I love it.

My father dives a MK17/S600 (both of our first stages are AF), It's smaller- more compact, lighter, but doesn't feature the swivel turret. Trying his S600 out for a day, I couldn't feel the slightest diffirence.

I'm about to buy new regulators for myself and my daughter. I think I've settled on the Mk17 first stage, but not sure on the second stage yet. I'm interested in the X650 (possible discounted prices due to discontinuation??) and the S555. My daughter likes the S555 as its a little smaller and lighter that the X650.

If you are just going to be using it as a backup reg, why not go with the Mk 2 plus? It is definitely cheaper and still a solid performer. A friend of mine has the X650/ Mk 25AF and he is quite happy with it, although he did have it freeze open this past winter. We did an ocean dive in the morning and a freshwater lake dive in the afternoon. Water temp was around 42 degrees F. He got down to about 10 ft. in the lake and it froze open. His tank drained in about 10 -12 seconds. This is definitely a high flow regulator. But if money is not an object, either of those regs would be a good choice.

Scott

I haven't heard anything about the x650 being discontinued, however, you will still be able to get parts. I just did a service on a D400 a couple of weeks ago. A lot of parts within the scubapro line are common between models as well which makes stocking parts easier.

I've also heard that the X650 is being discontinued. It is a good reg though and your right that Scubapro will continue to make parts for it for a long time.

If you are thinking about getting one better run to your LDS that carries them, I recently picked up a MK17/X650 for 489 usd out the door with tax with full Scuba pro warranty. Mine only had 2 left. From the good reviews that other people have posted the regulator is a excellent cold water rig perhaps one of the best out.

marc

My local LDS just quoted me $613 for the Mk17/X650! I was about to beat Leisure Pro's door down and snap one or two up from there but they no longer have them listed on their site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom