Scubapro Mk18 - S600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Mk 18 is a solid diaphragm design that internally is virtually identical to the Mk 16. The main difference is that the Mk 18 incorporates a swivel cap for the LP ports instead of having fixed ports in the side of the reg body like the Mk 16.

The Mk 16 uses a venturi assist on the two "high flow" ports which is not a feature used on the Mk 18. Flow rate on the Mk 16 is about 170 scfm and this is more than enough, so I would not regard the loss of the high flow ports on the MK 18 as an issue and in my opinon the swivel cap is worth the trade off.

The Mk 18 is not heavily marketed in the US which is too bad. Scubapro considers the MK 16 to be a medium performance reg and prices it between the low performance Mk 2 and high performance Mk 25. The medium performance label is however a bit of misnomer as by most other industry standards, the Mk 16 is a high performance reg.

I suspect if the Mk 18 with its swivel cap were marketed heavily in the US by Scubapro it would interfere with SP's low/medium/high market strategy by competing directly with the Mk 25 and cutting into Mk 25 sales.

The S600 is a nice reg, but I prefer the G250. Internally they are idenitcal but the G250 has a mechanical advantage due to its larger diaphragm and has an excellent record of reliability in cold water. Although the S600 should also do fine in cold water when paired with the Mk 18 first stage rather than the Mk 25.

I agree with DA... I have a Mk 18 with a G250 HP, and absolutely love it. I would like to get my ice diving cert this winter, but have a new addition to the family (getting old... priorities change :crafty: ). Most of my dives are generally anywhere from the 40-50 degree waters on up, and I dive a lot of black water and high sediment.

Anyway, someone from this board pointed me to an authorized dealer with whom my local shop was able to work with for the Mk 18/ G250 HP combo for $290, brand new in the box, and full SP warranty.Send an email if interested... I will gladly steer you toward it. The MK 18 G250 HP is getting increasingly rare in the US so the longer you wait...

In terms of service, aside from the swivel, the internals between the MK 16 and 18 are the same so parts are available. My only negative comment is that the Thermal Insulating Spring is exposed and not enviromentally sealed via the ambient pressure chamber. DA, do you know if there is an enviromental kit that can be purchased for the 18, or is this something that is overkill in your opinion?

I have the spec sheet from the Scubapro UK web page that compared the 600 to the 250, but cannot post it here due to size of the file.

Note to self... try to avoid sending international customers to US dealers... sorry fire, just saw your profile and realized that you are on the other side of the pond.

Thanks. I found Mk18/S600 for 330$ new in the box with warranty, but I will ask dealer if he have G250 HP.

DA Aquamaster:
The Mk 18 is a solid diaphragm design that internally is virtually identical to the Mk 16. The main difference is that the Mk 18 incorporates a swivel cap for the LP ports instead of having fixed ports in the side of the reg body like the Mk 16.

The Mk 16 uses a venturi assist on the two "high flow" ports which is not a feature used on the Mk 18. Flow rate on the Mk 16 is about 170 scfm and this is more than enough, so I would not regard the loss of the high flow ports on the MK 18 as an issue and in my opinon the swivel cap is worth the trade off.

The Mk 18 is not heavily marketed in the US which is too bad. Scubapro considers the MK 16 to be a medium performance reg and prices it between the low performance Mk 2 and high performance Mk 25. The medium performance label is however a bit of misnomer as by most other industry standards, the Mk 16 is a high performance reg.

I suspect if the Mk 18 with its swivel cap were marketed heavily in the US by Scubapro it would interfere with SP's low/medium/high market strategy by competing directly with the Mk 25 and cutting into Mk 25 sales.

The S600 is a nice reg, but I prefer the G250. Internally they are idenitcal but the G250 has a mechanical advantage due to its larger diaphragm and has an excellent record of reliability in cold water. Although the S600 should also do fine in cold water when paired with the Mk 18 first stage rather than the Mk 25.

A beautiful analysis. Thank you Aquamaster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom