Scubapro MK2 piston seat dimensions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greg Barlow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am looking for a source of nylon 66 seats for vintage, unbalanced piston regulators. The dimensions used in the Voit/Swimaster models have an OD of 0.180", and thickness of 0.100".

The Mares R2 version is too small in diameter. Can anyone provide the dimensions for the Scubaro version?

Thanks.

Greg

Don't know off the top of my head Greg, but if you are wanting them for the Swimmaster I can make you some. I have the material on hand. You might want to check out this post. I put some info there you may find is exactly what you are looking for. Go to the second page. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/339033-really-how-much-creep-problem-2.html

EDIT: went back and read my own post, per me the SP is 0.184 diameter by .127 long and the diameter of USD Aquarius is 0.180.

Edit again. I need to read more carefully. Greg, I tried nylon and it as too hard, it would not allow the orifice to take a set in the seat, never could get it to stop creeping. I made seats for flow by (Mk-2) and flow through (MK-5) pistons, same issue on both. So I switched to teflon, which is a little softer. It took a set well and after a few minutes looks like an original seat. I was making seats for old regs like Sportways but my test reg was a MK-2 because I had new OEM seats to compair my homebrew ones to.

Last edited:
My caliper is el cheapo but I get 4.5mm (.18") by 3.2mm (.13") so looks OK on diameter but too thick.

My caliper is el cheapo but I get 4.5mm (.18") by 3.2mm (.13") so looks OK on diameter but too thick.

What about sticking it into the end of the piston rod then shaving off the excess with a razor blade, then flipping it over?
Would that work?

Don't know off the top of my head Greg, but if you are wanting them for the Swimmaster I can make you some. I have the material on hand. You might want to check out this post. I put some info there you may find is exactly what you are looking for. Go to the second page. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/339033-really-how-much-creep-problem-2.html

EDIT: went back and read my own post, per me the SP is 0.184 diameter by .127 long and the diameter of USD Aquarius is 0.180.

Edit again. I need to read more carefully. Greg, I tried nylon and it as too hard, it would not allow the orifice to take a set in the seat, never could get it to stop creeping. I made seats for flow by (Mk-2) and flow through (MK-5) pistons, same issue on both. So I switched to teflon, which is a little softer. It took a set well and after a few minutes looks like an original seat. I was making seats for old regs like Sportways but my test reg was a MK-2 because I had new OEM seats to compair my homebrew ones to.

Herman,

It would be awesome if you could create some seats from the teflon stock. The OD is fairly critical, as it needs to be a snug press fit. The tolerance would be in the 0.002" range. I would expect the length to be fine in the 0.010" range.

I assumed that the original material was nylon, but it might be teflon as well.

Thanks.

Greg

Back
Top Bottom