Scubapro mk20 environmental kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tgreaves

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the price is or should be for a Scubapro mk20 cold water environmental kit.. Thanks

The mk20 is SUPPOSED to already be cold water compatible (don't get me started on this one again).

Do you mean one of the 'oil and rubber boot' type environmental sealing things? If so, Scubapro claim their mk20 doesn't need one.

[FROM THEIR WEBSITE]

"All SCUBAPRO regulator models are equipped with SCUBAPRO's patented T.I.S cold water system, the most resilient cold water system available on today's regulator market.

T.I.S utilises advanced material technology, which eliminates the chance of ice forming in the regulator first stage. Regulator freezing or free flows caused by freezing is primarily a first stage issue as this is the part of the regulator that creates the greatest pressure reduction and subsequently the greatest temperature reduction. This temperature reduction causes the internal components to freeze and ice can form on them restricting the performance of the regulator and creating a free flow.

Most cold water systems are designed to prevent water from entering the regulator by filling them with grease or oil and holding it in place with a rubber boot. This generally requires extra cost and labour charges after the purchase cost of the regulator. T.I.S is very different, it is standard in all SCUBAPRO regulators and it is very simple. Older SCUBAPRO regulators can also be upgraded to include the T.I.S System.

T.I.S has proven to be so effective that all SCUBAPRO regulators fitted with T.I.S comply to EN300, the most stringent European standards for cold-water performance. This is the most rigorous cold water performance test that any regulator can pass."

Hope this helps

It still freezes up.. I thing maby it might be the secound stage.. I have a g250-HP.. I am thinking that it might not be the best scubapro regulator for cold water diving.. any ideas

... with my (now ex) Scubapro mk20/R380. They are a good reg but not, in my opinion, suitable for cold water diving where you probably have the extra demand from a dry suit valve to contend with. WIthout starting this debate up again (see http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?threadid=1083 for my previous posts both pre and post freeflow), I ditched my reg altogether and swapped it for an Apeks TX100.

Probably not the solution you were hoping for - sorry.

For what it's worth, I think your first diagnosis is correct and that the freezing is more likely occuring in your mk20 first stage rather than the second stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom