Scubapro MK25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

triminx145

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
This may sound like a dumb question to those of you how know the ins and outs of regulator 1st stages. I have a MK25 yoke 1st stage, can a service technician change it to a DIN?

Yes, any service tech can swap back and forth as long as they have the correct parts and good torque wrench.

easily.

Cool, thanks for your fast response. Can the 1st stage be rated to 300bar so that it will fit in all DIN valves?

I believe with a DIN fitting on it it is rated to 300 bar.

it was a stupid question. You can switch it to DIN no problem...

No need for a torque wrench either. "snug" is a highly technical term used in regulator repair. I snug with my pinky finger. Tight enough so it doesn't spin out but not too tight so it busts metal...

Scubapro din is available in 200 bar and 300 bar.

it was a stupid question. You can switch it to DIN no problem...

No need for a torque wrench either. "snug" is a highly technical term used in regulator repair. I snug with my pinky finger. Tight enough so it doesn't spin out but not too tight so it busts metal...

So what gives you the idea that snug is good enough and 266 inch pounds is just a bunch of hooey? Or were you just trying to provide a stupid answer?

semi stupid, bitterly sarcastic answer. I can say that we don't use torque wrenches when we're servicing the regulators for school and have never had a problem... Nor have I on my personal regs. Same with tank valve installations, the highly technical term "snug" is used quite a bit there too. Cant say I've ever seen the guys vipping my tanks use a torque wrench, and haven't seen the reg repair guys that we work with use them either *outside of dive shops, they all do in the shops because of liability*. Just take a normal allen key and snug it. They told us in the repair class that you're supposed to use them, but it's not a big deal if you don't. They are more concerned with them being too tight and mucking up the threads than being not tight enough. Same with the port plugs and hoses, you're supposed to use torque wrenches on those, but I've never seen anyone use one before outside of the official "class".

I'm certified in Apeks, and my service manual says
"20 ft lbs or until it meets the body metal to metal" for the caps
12 ft lbs or until it meets the body metal to metal for the Turret Retaining Bolt and DIN Connector
and 25 +-2 in lbs or until it meets the body metal to metal for the port plugs or male end of hose

That's what we were taught in the repair class as well. If you have access to a torque wrench, great, use it. If not, don't go wrenching stuff down. Our instructor said they put the or until it meets the body bit in because they realize that when you are out diving you probably won't have a torque wrench just laying around for you.

I use torque wrenches and I'd expect anyone whom I'm paying for work that specifies a torque wrench (like rotating my tires) to use one.

No dumb question at all....I've converted my MK25, MK10, & MK2Plus to DIN this year (Well, this is the first season for my MK25, since I just bought it in March). Conversion kits are easy, or your LDS can help you. I saved my yoke fittings, just to have them (now in my gear archives).

Safe diving to you.

Back
Top Bottom