Scubapro MK25T EVO + S620 X-Ti

MK25T EVO + S620 X-Ti or MK25 EVO + A700 Carbon BT

• MK25T EVO + S620 X-Ti

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • MK25 EVO + A700 Carbon BT

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba regulators are nothing more than valves and seals. It never fails to amaze me how the gear industry hypes these things. I guess they have to, they haven't really improved in 40 years, and it's not really their fault. The fact of the matter is that scuba regulators, like welding and industrial regulators, do a very simple job and it's easy to design and build ones that are economical, last forever, and do the job as reliably and well as you would ever need. So how are these poor companies going to survive? Marketing, hype, and narcissism.

It's your money, and you should spend it as you see fit. But don't expect any improvement in your dive experience; it won't breathe better, make you any safer, or add to the enjoyment of diving in any appreciable way. You may enjoy the 'experience' of owning a fancy regulator for it's own sake, and that is a perfectly valid reason for spending your money.

I routinely use regulators 30-40 years old in cave diving, where I am relying on them thousands of feet from the exit. I paid less than $100 for each of these regs.

Hi,

I own a MK25 EVO + A700 Carbon BT. Loving it. Thinking of changing to the model as written in the title. Reason, just for the aesthetics. I try to make the reason for Titanium can't corrode, but everything won't last.

Come to my question, how's the maintenance for the reg? Will it be expensive? Does it use titanium parts also, or it's just the 1st stage casings?

Tq.
There are some great advantages to titanium, lighter for travel, no matter how much lighter it’s lighter by something. Corrosion resistance is so much better but that can be mitigated by a few moments of your time is after dive care so long as you don’t damage or allow the chrome to get damaged and rinse well it holds up just fine, a sealed diaphragm type first stage helps is post dive care.

I have an Atomic T2 I use for travel but also bring a Zeagle F8 as a backup, the only two Yoke regs I use. The Titanium helps mostly with weight since I always carry one regulator in my carry on.

Most titanium first still use a stainless piston or in the case of Atomic a Monel piston and swivel retainer to help with nitrox, more gimmick than real necessity. Titanium air barrels in second stages are great and not only make the stage lighter but this is where corrosion resistance really shines.

It’s just money so if it makes you happy go for it!

Titanium is definitely lighter and great for travel. I also notice a difference in jaw fatigue between using a titanium and a brass second stage. Titanium has the benefit that it won't corrode.

As for servicing, as people have said before, it's the same kit for the 1st stage and probably the 2nd stage.

I don't know why you are all so hard on the OP. I'm glad he has the capability to consider the fine points between expensive brands of Scubapro regulators.

Yes, you guys are all great at squeezing the best performance out of a 1965 regulator, but as the ANSTI machines have shown us, there are some subtle performance benefits to the new stuff.
To answer the OP's question, the carbon fiber A700 still has a metal body. Owning an A700 myself, I can tell you it's a little heavier in the mouth than the S600 series. The 620Ti combines all of the performance benefits of the S600 with a titanium barrel. Yes, on the machine the A700 performs slightly better. It has a smaller case, but better geometry for exhalation. This reduction in exhalation work of breathing is the predominant reason it performed better.
But, for my money, I would pick the S620Ti. Scubapro's case plastic composites are as good as anything else in the industry, and with lighter weight, they are a pleasure to dive. Their Chinese knockoffs just don't stand up to normal diver abuse. But with Scubapro, you can count on it surviving. As for scratches, the case may get ugly after being dragged on the sand or across the concrete. But so will a shiny chromed A700.
And don't believe what others have said upthread about chrome and brass having great corrosion resistance. I have seen so many horrible chromed brass regulators with verdigris corrosion from neglect. On the other hand you can neglect a titanium regulator and it won't show it. It isn't any more scratch resistant than a chromed brass regulator, but it is corrosion resistant. If you rinse it it will last forever. Truly forever.

Now, we haven't addressed my prejudice about unsealed first stages, but that's another matter. :D

Fun thread!

Scuba regulators are nothing more than valves and seals. It never fails to amaze me how the gear industry hypes these things. I guess they have to, they haven't really improved in 40 years, and it's not really their fault. The fact of the matter is that scuba regulators, like welding and industrial regulators, do a very simple job and it's easy to design and build ones that are economical, last forever, and do the job as reliably and well as you would ever need. So how are these poor companies going to survive? Marketing, hype, and narcissism.

It's your money, and you should spend it as you see fit. But don't expect any improvement in your dive experience; it won't breathe better, make you any safer, or add to the enjoyment of diving in any appreciable way. You may enjoy the 'experience' of owning a fancy regulator for it's own sake, and that is a perfectly valid reason for spending your money.

I routinely use regulators 30-40 years old in cave diving, where I am relying on them thousands of feet from the exit. I paid less than $100 for each of these regs.

Thank you. I understood your points.

There are some great advantages to titanium, lighter for travel, no matter how much lighter it’s lighter by something. Corrosion resistance is so much better but that can be mitigated by a few moments of your time is after dive care so long as you don’t damage or allow the chrome to get damaged and rinse well it holds up just fine, a sealed diaphragm type first stage helps is post dive care.

I have an Atomic T2 I use for travel but also bring a Zeagle F8 as a backup, the only two Yoke regs I use. The Titanium helps mostly with weight since I always carry one regulator in my carry on.

Most titanium first still use a stainless piston or in the case of Atomic a Monel piston and swivel retainer to help with nitrox, more gimmick than real necessity. Titanium air barrels in second stages are great and not only make the stage lighter but this is where corrosion resistance really shines.

It’s just money so if it makes you happy go for it!

Thank you for your sharing. I'll read more about the Atomic T2 just for comparison.

If you have the money, it suits your diving needs and want it, buy it.

Yeah. But good read before buying is smarter. :D

Titanium is definitely lighter and great for travel. I also notice a difference in jaw fatigue between using a titanium and a brass second stage. Titanium has the benefit that it won't corrode.

As for servicing, as people have said before, it's the same kit for the 1st stage and probably the 2nd stage.

Yeah, that's why I'm asking about the maintenance of the regulators. Since the body of the first stage is made out of Titanium, sure it will last. But the inside is the one that I can't rinse (or fully rinse) after every dive trip. So the inside will eventually subject to servicing. If the internal part have some special stuff it will surely cost more than servicing normal reg. Thank you for your point.

I don't know why you are all so hard on the OP. I'm glad he has the capability to consider the fine points between expensive brands of Scubapro regulators.

Yes, you guys are all great at squeezing the best performance out of a 1965 regulator, but as the ANSTI machines have shown us, there are some subtle performance benefits to the new stuff.
To answer the OP's question, the carbon fiber A700 still has a metal body. Owning an A700 myself, I can tell you it's a little heavier in the mouth then the S600 series. The 620Ti combines all of the performance benefits of the S600 with a titanium barrel. Yes, on the machine the A700 performs slightly better. It has a smaller case, but better geometry for exhalation. This reduction in exhalation work of breathing is the predominant reason it performed better.
But, for my money, I would pick the S620Ti. Scubapro's case plastic composites are as good as anything else in the industry, and with lighter weight, they are a pleasure to dive. Their Chinese knockoffs just don't stand up to normal diver abuse. But with Scubapro, you can count on it surviving. As for scratches, the case may get ugly after being dragged on the sand or across the concrete. But so will a shiny chromed A700.
And don't believe what others have said upthread about chrome and brass having great corrosion resistance. I have seen so many horrible chromed brass regulators with verdigris corrosion from neglect. On the other hand you can neglect a titanium regulator and it won't show it. It isn't any more scratch resistant than a chromed brass regulator, but it is corrosion resistant. If you rinse it it will last forever. Truly forever.

Now, we haven't addressed my prejudice about unsealed first stages, but that's another matter. :D

Fun thread!

Nah, I'm all right. :D Every opinion matters. I will be the one accountable for my own decision. :D

Thank you for your points. :) I have the habit of properly rinsing it after the end of every day of diving. Then I will thoroughly rinse at my home after every trip.

So what’s its weight?. Only the first/second stage with the connecting hose? I could not find this info.
For Atomic titanium vs. brass for 1st/2nd is 1.8lb vs 2.5lb

Not really a reason to buy, either for airplane baggage or your trim.
It's all in the first stage. Zirconium plated brass barrel vs. Titanium barrel in 2nd stage is .82# vs .84#.

Oh! A first stage that you can seal!
IMNSHO, leaves Scubapro in the rear view mirror, if not the dust. In the wastebasket, if not on the ashheap of history.
:rofl3::rofl3:

Oh really? But that's also translate into slightly more frequent maintenance schedule right? Or the opposite?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom