Scubapro MK5 Regulator, Missing Parts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

InTheDirt

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I do not remember these ports being so large and open to the inner guts of the regulator. Help me out, is there something missing here or not?

photo.jpg

This appears to be the second version MK5; a real workhorse actually. The ambient holes are normal for this version to allow water to rapidly enter the ambient chamber and act on the piston for depth changes. One thing to note however is that it has the older style yoke which is not designed for use with higher pressure cylinders (3000psi+).

A newer style yoke can be fitted and many Scubapro dealers who've been around awhile will possibly have a shiny chrome heavier yoke available.

I'm not sure when Scubapro switched to the stepped piston in the Mk 5, but Scubapro has created some liability issues for some shops/techs by recommending the earlier style pistons no longer be used. Should one of the older straight stemmed pistons fail or cookie cutter the seat, the liability for the tech and shop is now pretty large as they are violating Scubapro's service clinic recommendations by putting one back in service. Since replacement pistons are no longer available, some shops will be hesitant to return a Mk 5 to service with the early style straight stemmed piston.

The good news is that Scubapro still makes the Mk 5 annual service kit.

And, IMHO, since Scubapro moved away from the SPEC system, the older Mk 5s with the larger ambient pressure holes in the swivel cap are probably preferable as they are easier to rinse than the last Mk 5's that had the small ambient holes for the SPEC system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom