Scubapro Pressure Gauge - disassemble?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishyhead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have two black face and one white face 3500 psi Scubapro spg's with bezels that look like they can be unscrewed.

Have any of you taken these apart? Aside from the spool, I'm guessing there's an o-ring between the glass and body that should be replaced.

I'm pretty sure the black faced ones are nearly as old as I am so I'd like to keep them diving for as long as I do.

Screenshot_20210214-200637~2.png

Screenshot_20210214-200657~2.png

Yes, you can unscrew the bezel ( I used a wrench ans a piece of a tire tube).
Take care when you remove the plastic cap, thought it's tempered glass, but it's plastic, so you can scratch it.
But first I would put it in an ultrasound anyway.
There should be a way to polish the scratches away, but with that I cannot help you, maybe someone else here....
Good luck!
P1070562.JPG
P1070566.JPG
P1070560.JPG

Thank you! A picture is worth a thousand words! I thought the cap was made of glass too. being made of plastic explains all of the scratches.

There should be a way to polish the scratches away, but with that I cannot help you, maybe someone else here....
I seem to recall a thread on VintageDoubleHose where they used acrylic polish.
I'm debating trying one of mine with a dremel buffing wheel and toothe paste or car headlight restorer stuff from autozone.

I seem to recall a thread on VintageDoubleHose where they used acrylic polish.
I'm debating trying one of mine with a dremel buffing wheel and toothe paste or car headlight restorer stuff from autozone.

I've had good results with wet sanding scratches out starting with 1000grit followed by 2000grit and finishing with a polishing paste.
It sounds time consuming but really isn't.
To maintain a sealing surface and clarity, sand evenly by hand on a flat surface until all scratches are gone before proceeding.
All supplies were little more than a headlight kit and has fixed my DC lens, helmet visors and a dozen headlights.

You can use a product called POLYWATCH to buff the crystal. It's used to reduce scratching in acrylic watch crystals. I just used it on some ScubaPro Pressure Gauges from the mid-90's. Worked pretty good. You can buy it online or from any watchmaker supply store.

For deep scratch removal, you can use a Dremel, rouge and a buffing wheel - BUT the chances of melting your crystal is very high unless you have experience with refurbishing watch crystals. Watch Nekkid Watchmaker on YouTube to see this done live.

The wet sanding comment above by @Costick is the safest way to go IMHO. Very reliable and time-tested by many, many people.

A headlight kit would work good too. Personally, I used BRASSO for my headlight refurb. YMMV.

I've also had good results on clear SPG gauge lenses by wet sanding out scratches using progressively finer grades to 2000+ grit then a final polish with Autosol #1260 Acrylic Polish. I use a rectangular eraser as a backing to enable it to flex a bit while preventing 'finger grooves'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom