ScubaPro R109/R156?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couv

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
ScubaPro R109/R156? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "R" series are plastic. I think the root of the confusion is due to the existence of the R190; a very good regulator, but still not in the class of the Adjustable 109 or the Balanced Adjustable (156.) I don't know why it bugs me to see eBay adds and even some of my mates here refer to their beautiful chrome regulators as R109 or R156. "R" means cheap ugly plastic....please stop.

Mea Culpa.

I've been guilty of that, not sure why I began adding an "R".... a case of "Monkey See - Monkey Do" I suppose....

From this day forward, I propose a different naming convention to prevent any confusion:

ACA-109 = Awesome Chrome Adjustable -109

or

OINSA-109 = Often - Immitated, (but) Never - Surpassed Adjustable -109

Or collectively, we can say that those of us who have 2 or more Adjustable -109's simply have a pair of "Big Brass Ones".

:D

Duly noted :)

I think I am also able to lift my cupped hands
although it's far too time consuming to check.

Very good.

And very very funny.

The 109 is just the Catalog Number (Part Number) of the second stage that was included as part of the regulators with the Mk-1, Mk-5, Mk-6, and Mk-7 designation.

The Mk-2 and Mk-3 regulators included the 108 second stage.

The catalog numbers for the first stages are as follow:
Mk-1: 101-1
Mk-2: 102-1
Mk-3: 103-1
Mk-5: 105-1
Mk-6: 106-1
Mk-7: 107-1

I don’t recall that there was ever a Mk-4.

The 108 and 109 part numbers were for the second stages. The next second stage that was introduced (in 1976) was the 128 (a.k.a. the Pilot).

A regulator included a first and a second stage. The only reason to buy first or second stage (by itself) was as a replacement part (octopus were not commonly used).

Therefore, the correct (original) label for first stage of a MK-5 is therefore a 105-1, but Scubapro changed their numbering / labeling system when they started mixing first and second stages.

The numbering system that Scubapro used in the 60’s and 70’s was very simple. They never envisioned having as many regulators as they have had in the last 20 years.

The individual parts started with 101-x; where “x” would run from 2 and up.

The 105-1 (Mk-5 first stage) used most of the same parts as the 101-1 (Mk-1 first stage) so most of the parts were 101-x. Only the unique parts would start with a new series of numbers. The swivel was 105-8, the cap was 105-3, etc.

Below are some examples of the 1976 Scubapro diagrams.

Mk-21976.jpg

Mk-31976.jpg

Mk-51976.jpg

1081976.jpg

1091976.jpg

CopyofPilot19762.jpg

Mea Culpa.

I've been guilty of that, not sure why I began adding an "R".... a case of "Monkey See - Monkey Do" I suppose....

From this day forward, I propose a different naming convention to prevent any confusion:

ACA-109 = Awesome Chrome Adjustable -109

or

OINSA-109 = Often - Immitated, (but) Never - Surpassed Adjustable -109

Or collectively, we can say that those of us who have 2 or more Adjustable -109's simply have a pair of "Big Brass Ones".

.....I like it. And if one has a couple of 156s they would be....

Last edited:
.....I like it. And if one has a couple of 156s they would be....

Well, sheesh, thats just obvious:

"Perfectly Balanced Big Brass Ones"

Best Wishes.

Thanks for the old diagrams Luis!

I, too, am guilty of even naming my computer folders with the "r". Doh!

Still not checking!

I love the smell of old tech papers in the afternoon.
Thank you Luis H.

Back
Top Bottom