Scubapro regs for wife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ulfhedinn

-Skill Collector-
Reaction score
So my wife has asked me to purchase her a new set of regulators. She has been looking at the Scubapros. I don't know enough about the Scubapro series as I dive hogs to make a good decision. Money is not an option but she doesn't need a vanity model either. I just want the best for her.

Coldwater.. Warm water.. Easy to breathe.. Etc

Single Tank

Im assuming Mk25 EVO for 1st stage but not sure on 2nd? S600? A700? G260?

I'd go G260 - I've used the G variants (as well as the 109/156) for my 30+ years of diving. Great regulator. (though I do not have a G260). I do have an s600 and it is okay. No experience with an A700.

I'd also likely go a MK-17/19 over a MK-25 - sealed makes it really nice in allowing you a little more leniency in care in regard to rinsing after salt water dives, and I prefer diaphragm regulators for cold water.

I'd have to agree with @rhwestfall . The Mk25 might be the most popular reg in Scubapro history, but I'd recommend a diaphragm first for the occasional diver who wants Scubapro but doesn't have finicky preferences. MK11 for less expense. Mk17 for extra sealing which is not really necessary. Mk19 for both extra sealing and a turret for easier hose routing (again not necessary for back mount single tank).
Diaphragms are slightly more forgiving of incomplete between-dive preventive maintenance.

Having said that, Scubapro's environmental seal requires more regular attention than others. HOG is similar in this regard (is there a bulge in your environmental seal on the top of your reg?). So going with a Mk11 eliminates this issue (no seal). The Mk17's seal is hidden beneath a hard-to-remove cap. But you can see the Mk19 seal, just like HOG. It's just prone to a small leak.

The A700 is overrated, IMO. Even perfectly tuned, it doesn't breathe as well as the G260 or S600 (again, IMO). Very subtle differences.

The G260 is superb! But it is a slightly larger regulator case (even though it's neutral underwater). For a diver with no preferences, if she's on the petite side, I think I'd recommend an S620Ti for top of the line performance in a slightly smaller form factor.

I think the MK17/19 is the way to go. I recently bought a Mk19, which can be had without the D420 if you look around. I love my Mk 5s and 10s, but they are a bit long in the tooth and, more importantly, piston regs require much more attention after diving in my local NJ waters, which can get dense with sediment and thick with plankton at times. I bought my Mk19 with a yoke fitting, and another $35 got me a Scubapro DIN fitting which I immediately installed. I have the appropriate tools, so I can switch back and forth when I travel to somewhat remote locations where the scuba operations do not have any DIN tanks.

FWIW, my wife's gear is sized small and she has a strong preference for S600 vs G260. She finds a G260 too bulky for her taste.

If putting this together with individual regulators turns out to be a PITA, the best performance for value in standard packages is probably the Mk11/C370.
At $520, it's very underpriced for Scubapro manufacturing quality and its performance. C370 disassembly is slightly different from standard barrel regs, if you contemplate repair in a faraway place.
If that's a factor, then the Mk11/S560 breathes well, and ANY tech can fix a problem without screwing it up.

So my wife has asked me to purchase her a new set of regulators. She has been looking at the Scubapros. I don't know enough about the Scubapro series as I dive hogs to make a good decision. Money is not an option but she doesn't need a vanity model either. I just want the best for her.

Coldwater.. Warm water.. Easy to breathe.. Etc

Single Tank

Im assuming Mk25 EVO for 1st stage but not sure on 2nd? S600? A700? G260?

@Ulfhedinn,

Hmmm. Why not Hogs similar to yours? This would make stocking spare parts, and servicing, simpler (and less expensive). Are they no longer available?

rx7diver

As it stands.. Mk17 w/ S620Ti looks pretty darn good.

She noticed you can get the S600 with a pink purge... :rolleyes:

@Ulfhedinn,

Hmmm. Why not Hogs similar to yours? This would make stocking spare parts, and servicing, simpler (and less expensive). Are they no longer available?

rx7diver
Because his wife said Scubapro! Don't go there!
:rofl3:

@Ulfhedinn,

rx7diver

No.. she dives them now. (HOG). She just wanted to see what else was out there. The local shop services them too in case I don't learn them too.

and they dont have pink options. :eek:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom