Scubapro Regulator History Website

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice to see that SP came through as promised. It is a very nicely done site, slick, professional and all that, but somewhat thinner in detail, some things missing, but some new details missing from the earlier version, and a more subtle retrospective flavor consigning some things to mere historical interest, Like a current Mercedes Benz ad describing\ a classic restored 230SL. Damn that was a lovely car. I still miss it.

The pictures are mostly great. The logic of what was included, and the sequence is a bit difficult to understand. Mixing first and second stages is slightly understandable, especially with a little bit of info regarding what elements were marketed together back then, though not nearly enough. Mixing a mask and other items in among the regs is less understandable. I suppose as a work in progress it is reasonably good, but badly in need of some important details and better descriptions of variations, especially internal changes in regs with the same designations which in some cases are of great significance. BTW, I found a Russian site that carries some of the old Scubapro Museum site material, word for word.

You are to be congratulated, Craig, on your persistence and courtesy. Next time you correspond with SP, ask them to publish a detailed parts catalog for the older stuff, Mk5s and 10s, and updatable parts for 109/156s and older 250s. Were they to do so, they would become reborn as the fantastic company I remember from the 70s.

I am glad to see the regulator timeline/ museum. It looks very good, but there are a number of the early pictures that are not correct.

• The 1963 second stage (108) has the wrong exhaust. The exhaust T looked totally different at the time. The mouthpiece is wrong also. That 108 looks to be from the 70’s, not the early 60’s.

• I am fairly certain that the picture of 1964 Mk-3 is not really the Mk-3 of that time.

• The 1964 Mk-2, the 1965 Mk-5, the 1969 Mk-6, and several other regulators in the 1960 and 70’s are shown with hex key (Allen wrench) port plugs. Those plugs were not around back then. There are few of the regulators shown with the correct plugs.

• The 1970 to 1977 Mk-5 Environ is shown with the multi port swivel. That was not available that early.

• The 1972 Mk-3 is also incorrect. That is a MK-2. The dust cap is also wrong for that time period.

• The dust cap on several of the regulators is not correct for the time period. The ball that you show in the 1971 Mk-7 is the correct dust cap for that time period (1970’s).

• You totally skipped the original Mk-1, but that is not a surprised since that regulator was totally recalled and Scubapro probably don’t want to acknowledge that it ever existed. But, several of the original MK-1 did survive after the recall. The 1965 Scubapro catalog shows the original flow-by balanced piston regulator. Actual pictures of the original MK-1 are available.

These are just some of the errors that I notice on the early history. It is great to see some of the pictures and a reasonably accurate time line, but I would like to see some of the errors corrected. If you like more detail information, I would be glad to help.

The site is very nicely done. It really looks good… it just needs a few corrections to be more accurate. Thanks

Note: I can’t comment on the more recent history

Most of the information I posted can be easily confirmed by looking at the early Scubapro catalos. I didn’t actually have to go to the catalogs since I clearly remember what we sold and serviced at the time.

I worked for two different Scubapro dealers from 1971 to 1980. In Puerto Rico where I grew up it was Divers Service Center (1971 to 1975 while in high school and the summers during college break after that). From around 1976 to 1980 I occasionally serviced gear at Water Works in Memphis, Tn., where I was going to college.

Last edited:
Hi KateScubapro,

Looks like the regulator history timeline has been updated since I first looked, is that right?

Thanks, Craig

Very Nice site. Has all my older Regs on there. will be a big help to others to ID older regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom