Closed: ScubaPro regulators - Mk25 EVO / S600 - New in Box

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the feedback! I was thinking the EVO model would be good/important as some of our diving will be in the cold at Dutch Springs which, as I understand it, can get stired up by the training groups or algea blooms. But if that isn't the case - the model mattering - then that's good to know.

Main difference between the mk17 and mk25 is the swivel mount, correct? Are there other primary differences that I might have overlooked?
The Mk17 is a sealed diaphragm which is better for cold water and makes it easier to rinse. The Mk25 is a piston and has a swivel but can’t be sealed.

In general, I have found sealed diaphragm regs to be less maintenance but the swivels help a lot for hose routing.

Main difference between the mk17 and mk25 is the swivel mount, correct? Are there other primary differences that I might have overlooked?

The swivel turret is one difference, the MK25 is also a piston regulator, while the MK17 is a diaphragm regulator... You can't seal a piston regulator, while you can seal a diaphragm regulator. The sealed regulator should do better is cold temperatures, as well as in silty/ salty/ 'dirty' water...

The MK25 is a rally 'high performance' regulator, but the MK17 is plenty fine for any diving you (or I, or 99.999% of the population) will likely do... For that matter almost ANY regulator is fine, safe, and sufficient...

As a side note, one of the few reasons I really like the A700 is because it's a solid metal regulator... in addition to being a looker it also provides some moisture on inhale, due to capturing a little moisture via condensation from the previous exhale... what that really means is no cotton mouth when diving. The super dry air in your tank will dry your mouth out, leaving your mouth dry and nasty... not so much with an all metal regulator.

As a side note, all metal regulators are somewhat rare, maybe someone smarter then me will chime in, but I think there are only a few current models that are all metal, and a few serviceable vintage ones too...

Do some reading, google searches, and ask people in this forum. Generally ScubaPro gets hated on (for various reasons, some of which might matter to you, some of which won't)... I for one love my SP regs, and I'm really happy with them... YMMV

In general, I have found sealed diaphragm regs to be less maintenance but the swivels help a lot for hose routing.

Agreed, even in my few short years of diving I've noticed this... for that reason I'm actually thinking of getting rid of my mk25's and getting mk17's in their place....

All models still available. Discount if purchasing multiple sets.

Mk25 + A700 are sold

The major difference between the between the 25 and the 17 is the price of the parts kits!!!! Mk17 parts kit costs almost double that of the Mk25. Gets notably expensive after a few services.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom