ScubaPro Split Fin - are there better (particularly lighter weight) options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jclin10

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greetings

We are using ScubaPro split fins, which we bought 10 years ago. We don’t anticipate diving again for another 5 years. We are trying to decide whether to sell and buy a new pair in 5 years or store them, for which we would have to pay for storage. Are there better options than the ScubaPro Split Fin? I understand that everyone has different preferences for fins. One factor is that we will be 15 years older than when we first started, so ease of use and weight will matter more than they used to. We are exclusively vacation/travel divers.

Thanks in advance!

The only split fins I have heard much good about are the Atomic split fins. I have not really heard much positive or negative about the SP splits.

If storing a pair of fins for 5 years was going to increase my storage bill, I would sell them and buy new later. If the storage bill will be the same with or without the fins, then... I would probably still sell them and buy new later. If nothing else, I would be a little concerned that the rubber straps would get some dry rot and need to be replaced anyway after 5 years in storage. But, if you spray some silicone spray on them and store them in a plastic bag, I guess they would probably be fine.

Apollo bio pro fins are nice a little pricey but worth it in my opinion.

Having owned both Scuba Pro Twin Jets and Apollo Bios, IMO the Apollos are far superior fins, however, they certainly are not light. The SPs are slightly buoyant, even with spring straps, whereas the Apollos will sink like a rock, so you really need to hang on to them in the water. If you drop an Apollo Bio in the water, hopefully your buddy can retrieve it for you and the water is not too deep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom