Scubapro Z1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recently noticed the new Scubapro Z1, solar powered computer. What caught my attention is that is was said to run Buhlmann ZH-L16C. I went to the manual for additional information. Disappointingly, it does not use set or custom GFs. It has 3 levels of conservatism, 0, 1, and 2. The lowest level of conservatism gives NDLs that are generally a little shorter than PZ+.

The Z1 looks extremely similar to the Tusa IQ1204 DC Solar Link. Scubapro and Tusa have other connections, this might be added to the list.

By the way, looks like the Tusa AI computer using the PPS transmitter, IQ-950 Zen, has been discontinued and is no longer available.

I recently noticed the new Scubapro Z1, solar powered computer. What caught my attention is that is was said to run Buhlmann ZH-L16C. I went to the manual for additional information. Disappointingly, it does not use set or custom GFs. It has 3 levels of conservatism, 0, 1, and 2. The lowest level of conservatism gives NDLs that are generally a little shorter than PZ+.

The Z1 looks extremely similar to the Tusa IQ1204 DC Solar Link. Scubapro and Tusa have other connections, this might be added to the list.

By the way, looks like the Tusa AI computer using the PPS transmitter, IQ-950 Zen, has been discontinued and is no longer available.

It doesn't appear to be availble outside the Hong Kong/Japan area.

I thought I would post my review on here since they seem to be lacking on every other site. I did just post the same on LP and Amazon. Feel free to ask me any additonal questions. Yes, im reposting this on one other board.
Tusa IQ-1205 Review

This review is after 5 months and nearly 60 dives on this computer.

Pro and Con list further down.

I’m an America dive instructor living in Italy that took my instructor course in the Philippines. Since the diving season started in April, I’ve been underwater nearly every weekend either in the pool, confined open water or open water. I’ve taken this computer down to 42M/137 ft. Dived with Nitrox and I’ve done multiple dives in a day. I use this as my daily driver even if I’m not diving.

Comparing this to the Scubapro Solar computer (features), which I do not have and haven’t used. I would still choose this one, for one main reason. The 5th and dedicated light button that also acts as a visual alarm. Both computers were in partnership with Casio, a reputable and time tested watch company. The Scubapro computer is a sleeker design and doesn’t stand out as much as the Tusa (G-Shock Style) watch, but having the with button for lighting really makes a difference, especially when you’re trying to set your gas while on a boat before dawn.

What has Tusa done right? The way the Bluetooth is enabled for app syncing is great. It is only on for a short period of time and doesn’t strain the battery. The built in compass, works well enough for a general direction underwater, the alarms are loud and clear with the flashing 5th button. The build is a little bulky, but the bulkiness keeps the screen from getting banged up and scratched. The solar battery with constantly displayed indicator is wonderful Mine has been displaying full from the very start even after a lot of diving which we all know takes a lot more processing power than running the time. It’s nice that I’m able to utilize the stop watch mid-dive, for time related skills. The menu navigation is a bit of a hassle at first, but you soon get used to it, also the app has a link the instructions which is nice. The app dive profile with the ability to share to social media, add pictures and site information is really handy, and it’s nice to show your buddies after the dive the sort of profile and information that you just dove. The overall build is rugged and nice, the strap has plenty of length and the rubber is mostly grippy. I’ve noticed while in a dark room the screen will turn off to save battery, as soon as it detects some light or a button push it turns on

What did Tusa do wrong? Well since this is a computer that can be updated through the app, the only limiting factors are the physical aspects of the computer. The biggest thing for me is lack of deep stop. A couple websites mention that there is a deep stop but I’ve never seen it, I’ve looked all over the manual, the app and through the settings but there isn’t any mention of it. Because of that I’m always using my Oceanic OCi (very liberal) as my backup computer during my dives. The TUSA has a very conservative nitrogen loading formula (even on the most liberal setting) and while comparing to my Oceanic sometimes it will display up to an hour difference for no decompression limit. Even though the 5th button is great, the lighting for the screen is not indiglo or back lit. It has 2 tiny LEDs that illuminate the screen from the side, it’s okay, but not as easy to see as the backlit screens in moderately lit areas. My dive buddy has the COSMIQ BLU dive computer which is a color screen with Bluetooth and part of me envies him, if he has to change his gas settings, I think the only way he can do it is through the app, but why not let the Tusa app do the same things, and why doesn’t it register in the app when you do set it for Nitrox. If I use nitrox, the only way for me to change it is on the computer, and while setting your gas it doesn’t tell you a max operating depth, you have to go in and figure that out on your own in the planning screen. When you go to plan dive you just keep setting the depth lower and lower until it gives you a “NA” for your NDL. When you sync your app with your computer after your nitrox dive and you transfer the dive data, the app doesn’t register you did a nitrox dive, instead you have to put that in manually. Why? I want the app and the computer to talk more, there are very minimal adjustments you can make from the computer through the app, there should be more. Oh by the way, the default set up is to Show NDL as your giant number on your screen while the depth is small and up in the corner, you can set display options through the App. I picked white/blue band/case in case I potentially lose it underwater. The white has become dingy over time and seems to collect dirt easily, the plastic sleeves surrounding the LOG and PLAN buttons has yellowed compared to the rest of the body. Also I emailed Tusa 2 different times about a month ago asking about deep stop and changing computer settings from the app and I haven’t heard anything back from them

Overall I’m happy with this purchase. I wanted a computer I could wear all the time, and not have to worry about the regular use wearing down the batteries and stopping me from diving. I’ve never been a big fan of the G-Shock style watches but I like this one and it looks sporty. The 5th button is great and that why I would buy this again, (maybe the black version) over the Scubapro solar computer.

Here’s the quick pro and con list

Pros
-5th button dedicated for the light
-Solar powered, charges in any light, never seen it indicate low power
-Bluetooth
-App that works well that can post to social media with tons of dive options
-Compass
-Conservative
-Gas switching
-Free dive mode
-Well built
-Great battery management
-Not a huge computer
-Great for daily wear

Cons
-No deep stop
-Very conservative
-Can’t change many setting within the app for the computer
-Setting gas turns into a guessing game for Max depth
-White computer option collects dirt
-Tusa didn’t reply to my emails.

pardon the old thread bump, but I'm wondering what any Z1 owners out there have to say after using this computer for a while?

I am heavily considering getting one and want to be sure they've been standing the test of time, unlike some of their earlier computers plagued with button issues.

I'm curious on this and the Tusa DC Solar Link. It appears Aqualung also had the Calm which is nearly identical but only sold in Japan. I recently picked up two of the Tusa's new in the box on ebay for $175 each. I'm going to run them alongside my regular computer next week in Key Largo. I've used them in the pool this week numerous times and they seem spot on. Why no more reviews or comments on the Z1, Solar Link, or Calm? Seems a brilliant idea as these Casio type solar watches can easily last 20 years on the same solar battery. Despite what one might believe, dive computers are not very sophisticated in terms of computing. Nothing compared to the computing power of a basic Garmin gps watch. I've always been intrigued that you can get a gps watch with bluetooth, wifi, gps, Ant+, etc. etc. etc. for $200 dollars and the dumbest dive computer with no radios at all is $250 and up. Waterproofing doesn't cost that much. Dive computers are a ripoff as far as electronics are concerned. But, you have to have them. Anyway, do people hate these or are they close enough in regular price to air integrated that no one buys them?

Back
Top Bottom