Scubapro...???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

birdwrasse

Contributor
Reaction score
i just became instructor, but my shop is telling me that scubapro does not offer keyman discount... (largest selection in store is scubapro...)

i'm willing to outfit myself in all scubapro, but have so much equipment right now, that unless i get a manditory from the shop, i'll probably won't do it...

any feedback?

thanks,

--c

Not sure on Scubapro policy about keyman,sounds fishey to me.If the store wants you to use SP gear then either they should supply it to you out of their rentals or you can purchase yours at stores wholesale cost.

SP does key man discounts, if not continually, then from time to time. Regardless of the Sp policy, I've yet to find the shop that would not offer staff a 30% to 50% discount on items, even items controlled under a dealer price agreement. If you've found a shop that won't, you need to find a new shop.

thanks for the feedback! i like the idea about using the rental gear if they want me to use SP... if i get 30%-50% off, i might consider it, but again, i'm still buying more gear... i've got so much equipment it feels like i'm throwing money to the wind at this point.

cheers!

--c

Just as an aside in California employers that require you to use tools (this could be anything from hammers to scuba regulators) as a condition of employment, need to provide you them at no charge. Like many rules/laws/regulations this is often overlooked and not well known.

Others thing to consider, if you are an independent contractor, this does not apply. (The IRS has strict and getting stricter requirements for being and IC) Some employers lease the tools from the employee for a small amount to get around this regulation.

If the shop requires you to use ScubaPro they should provide them to you, for use when instructing, at no charge.

Your store is not quite telling the truth as Scubapro DOES offer keyman discounts. The equipment is discounted below cost to the dive shop for keyman employees. Offhand, I believe S/P discounts keyperson gear at 15-20%
off dealer cost to the shop, making it therefore easier to pass on a discount to you.

thanks everyone... i've talked to the shop, and i'll keep wearing the aqualung, uwatec, and scubapro equipment i have now... no need to buy more at this time!

cheers,

--c

Your store is not quite telling the truth as Scubapro DOES offer keyman discounts. The equipment is discounted below cost to the dive shop for keyman employees. Offhand, I believe S/P discounts keyperson gear at 15-20%
off dealer cost to the shop, making it therefore easier to pass on a discount to you.

Yep. My friends in the biz say they get dealer cost less 20% with SP.

I'm looking for a part time jub this summer :).

OK if you go to a product review seminar with Scubapro (have to be sponsored by dive shop) you'll get about 35% below dealer cost for an entire system. I went every year.

crap. nothing is easy.

Back
Top Bottom