Scubatoys Regulator Service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ripple in still water

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After years of renting, I recently bought gear, including a used Aqualung Calypso regulator and LPO octo. I bought the Calypso in part because it is reputed to be durable and simple to service, but of course as used gear it now needs service. I see that Scubatoys, a company I've done business with before successfully, and which I know is generally popular, offers regulator service at an unbeatable price, $50 for first stage, second stage, and octo, including parts. Scuba Regulator Repair - Scuba Annual Service I'd be grateful to hear how things worked out from anybody who's used Scubatoys for regulator service. Also, as a general matter, do folks see much advantage to using an LDS for reg service despite the higher price relative to Scubatoys?

I've used ScubaToys for reg service.
Great work at a great price and 90% of the time their turn around time is cheaper than my LDS too!

I have use Scubatoys for my Dive Rite Hurricane reg set ups, and have been happy with the service.
They do my service cheaper than I can buy the kits for alone.

I will be sending them another set up on Thursday.

Jim breslin

I haven't used the Scubatoys reg repair service, but I suspect that their reg servicing is very good based only on their exemplary customer service record. That limited time deal (all parts free on reg overhauls until Feb. 28) is amazing! Take advantage of it, provided that they work on Aqualung regs.

The only disadvantage to sending your regs off to Scubatoys (vs. LDS) is that you can't just stop by to get the reg adjusted for free. Even with a properly overhauled reg, there's a period of adjustment during which the seats take a set. It's fairly common to have to tweak the tuning of the second stage a little.

I recommend that you get the reg serviced at Scubatoys and then learn how to tune your reg on your own. At the very least, buy an i.p. gauge to monitor the "health" of your first stage. I highly recommend the following two books for learning more about how regs work and how to overhaul them (if you feel so inclined):
Airspeed Press -- Vance Harlow's Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair
ScubaTools.com -- Regulator Savvy

Thank you everybody for the quick and helpful responses! If others have thoughts on the subject, please keep them coming. Bubbletrouble, I would ultimately like to service my own regs, especially if I'm satisfied and stay with the Calypso, given its simple design.

Scubatoys, if they are a proper regulator repair shop, and I imagine they are, most likely has one of this nifty piston-on-a-motor deals, which cycles the first and 2nd stages an adequate number of times to develop the "final" seat on the seats in only a few minutes, BubbleTrubble. {edit} looking at their site confirms that they do cycle regulators.

That's a very good deal for regulator service!

I just sent in my reg and octo this week to ST. Very quick turnaround. My LDS take a min of 6 months to service. I think the octo is a extra $20, but still much less that my LDS.

Scubatoys, if they are a proper regulator repair shop, and I imagine they are, most likely has one of this nifty piston-on-a-motor deals, which cycles the first and 2nd stages an adequate number of times to develop the "final" seat on the seats in only a few minutes, BubbleTrubble. {edit} looking at their site confirms that they do cycle regulators.
@JahJahwarrior: Actually, you don't really need one of those gadgets to cycle the reg. You can just hit the purge button on the second stage a bunch of times after adjusting the i.p. on the first stage. Obviously, having the cycling tool makes a lot of sense for a shop on account of the number of regs it works on.

It's been my personal experience, however, both with DIY servicing and getting the LDS to service my regs, that tuning of the regs occasionally needs to be tweaked after they see a bit of use. Bear in mind that I'm just talking about a minor adjustment on the second stage here. Maybe this is due to the breaking in process. Maybe I'm just unlucky. Almost certainly, a contributing factor is aggressive initial tuning of the reg. But, hey, that's the way I like it. :D

I've used them many times. Overall, very good service at an excellent value. Quick turn around times as well.

I *did* have one set of regs come back where the seats settled and needed minor adjustments. Their reg tech called me up and walked me through the process. Very good customer service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom