ScubaToys Regulator Service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkydivingNerd

Registered
Reaction score
5/28/2019:
I emailed ScubaToys specifically asking if they
could still do annual service on my old Poseidon
(I included the model number) regulator.

5/28/2019:
I received the following response from Joe Johnson:
"We can but the parts are close to $100 for that reg."
(This was a lie - see below.)

6/3/2019:
They received my regulator.

6/19/2019 - (2 weeks / 2 days later):
Since their regulator repair form says:
"Please allow 10-14 business days upon receipt
for annual service work to be completed."
I called to check on my regulator. Sandy
told me that they get busy this time of
year so it would be "another week to
week and a half" before they would be
shipping my regulator back to me.
(This was a lie - see below.)

7/10/2019 - (3 weeks later):
I called to find out where my regulaor
was. Sandy told me "Let me check and
I'll call you back."
(This was a lie. She never called back.)

7/11/2019 - (1 day later):
I called back to find out why Sandy
never called me back. She said that
my regulator was due back to them the
next day and it would be "shipping tomorrow".
(This was a lie. See below.)

7/15/2019 - (4 days later):
I called back to make sure my regulator
had indeed shipped on the 12th. Sandy
gets on the phone and informs me that the
regulator hasn't shipped yet and that they
couldn't service the 2nd stage because of
parts availability so they only serviced
the first stage and that it would "ship
tomorrow."

7/16/2019 - (1 day later):
My regulator finally shipped.

6 weeks and 1 day and $151 later I have
a regulator that I can't use because they
didn't service both stages the way
Joe Johnson told me they would
when I first contacted them.

Reasonable customer service would dictate
that if you can't service both stages you
call the customer and ask them if they still
want the other stage serviced. Customer
service is obviously not their strong suit,
but lying obviously is.

If you want your regulator serviced by a
bunch of used car salesman have at it.
I never will again.

I am sorry to hear about your experience. I have only had really good service from ScubaToys. I just got my two sets of 18 year old jetstream Poseidons back from SCUBA toys after three weeks. When I drop them off they told me it would be about three weeks and the service pack for them would be $45 for each Poseidon plus any additional parts that might need replacement, luckily I didn’t need any other parts. I live within 30 min of ST and get equipment/parts/service from them regularly, I haven’t had anything close to your experience.

So far, you’ve made 3 posts on ScubaBoard. One to find where to post to find a buddy, which got a response that you didn’t bother to respond to the respondent, and 2 to slag off the manufacturer and service provider for your 20 year old obsolete regulator.

Is all you do complain?

Let’s try this: “good morning, everyone!! I have a Poseidon whatever that is no longer supported by Poseidon. Does anyone have any advice for me as to getting the second stage serviced? My LDS can’t do it, and neither can Scubatoys, even if they said they could.”

I’ll bet that someone would give you advice to keep that older model diving. Someone else might even suggest that they have an old service kit hanging in a back room, and a third person might even suggest a buddy forum for you.

Maybe.

@Wookie I think you are being a bit hard on a new member. If the facts listed by the OP are true, then certainly he has a valid complaint. I don't think anyone would want to be treated that way. It is becoming common, whether we like it or not, for people to vent on social media.

As for Poseidon, they have a reputation (or at least did) of being a high-end regulator manufacturer. Certainly their Cyclon and Jetstream models are still serviceable after more than 20 years. As are regulators made by other quality brands such as Scubapro, Aqualung, Apeks, Mares, Sherwood, etc. So I don't think it would be unreasonable for the OP expect them to be serviceable. I can just hear the salesman at the LDS telling him that these are the last regulators he will ever need. My question to the OP was when were they last serviced? As divers complained about service on Tritons for years.

As for not responding to where to find the buddy, the respondent did not use the "@" to alert the OP nor quote the OP so how is the OP to know? SB does not automatically alert the starter of the thread for posts in the thread unless he specifically follows the thread. Something the OP may not know. Sometimes we forget what it is like to be a Newbie.

@Wookie I think you are being a bit hard on a new member. If the facts listed by the OP are true, then certainly he has a valid complaint. I don't think anyone would want to be treated that way. It is becoming common, whether we like it or not, for people to vent on social media.

As for Poseidon, they have a reputation (or at least did) of being a high-end regulator manufacturer. Certainly their Cyclon and Jetstream models are still serviceable after more than 20 years. As are regulators made by other quality brands such as Scubapro, Aqualung, Apeks, Mares, Sherwood, etc. So I don't think it would be unreasonable for the OP expect them to be serviceable. I can just hear the salesman at the LDS telling him that these are the last regulators he will ever need. My question to the OP was when were they last serviced? As divers complained about service on Tritons for years.

As for not responding to where to find the buddy, the respondent did not use the "@" to alert the OP nor quote the OP so how is the OP to know? SB does not automatically alert the starter of the thread for posts in the thread unless he specifically follows the thread. Something the OP may not know. Sometimes we forget what it is like to be a Newbie.
I get coming here frustrated. I even get slagging off those who frustrated you. What I never got is those who don't understand that if they just want to come here and slag someone without giving back, someone (like me) will take some offense. It's like when you hold your first thanksgiving dinner as a married couple and your aunt cant help but notice that one of the plates is chipped, the tile is scuffed, and there is a piece of food stuck to the fork. Is there an expectation that Thanksgiving will be perfect? Sure, and hopefully the turkey isn't dry, but to just come and complain without participating in the forum isn't a great way to introduce yourself.

But looking at the other thread, he only wants his Poseidon to work, he doesn't want a work around. Fair enough.

I'm fairly skeptical when some one joins a forum so they can publicly call people liars. A lie is an intententional and knowing deception. From the OPs description I just read it as it simply took longer and cost more than STs thought it would.

I'm fairly skeptical when some one joins a forum so they can publicly call people liars. A lie is an intententional and knowing deception. From the OPs description I just read it as it simply took longer and cost more than STs thought it would.

From what I gather, ST said they can service them themselves, but then sent them out elsewhere (see 7/11/2019). After 4 weeks of runaround the OP received a rebuilt first but nothing was done to the second due to lack of parts. So the OP is afraid to dive the rig. If ST was having difficulty sourcing parts then they should have contacted the OP and explained the situation and asked for for instructions.

What doesn't take longer and cost more these days..one has to be specific and proactive for the service of just about anything today.

From what I gather, ST said they can service them themselves, but then sent them out elsewhere (see 7/11/2019). After 4 weeks of runaround the OP received a rebuilt first but nothing was done to the second due to lack of parts. So the OP is afraid to dive the rig. If ST was having difficulty sourcing parts then they should have contacted the OP and explained the situation and asked for for instructions.
Yes. ST is not the aggrieved party here. They should never have worked on them at all if they couldn't complete them. My wife has kits, but she won't work on them at all.

Yes. ST is not the aggrieved party here. They should never have worked on them at all if they couldn't complete them. My wife has kits, but she won't work on them at all.
Agree fully. I'll add, I've been around the dive industry long enough to see readily available in stock parts from manufacturers suddenly become unavailable when ordered. Or worse, they say they'll ship right out but after a while they tell you they dont have any and dont expect any and no longer support that item. Dive shops get left looking bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom