Scula Hydro Light Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craracer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In anticipation of my upcoming Advanced EANx/Deco classes, I started looking for a reasonably priced primary light. A tech diver, whom I trust, told me that he had been using a Hydro Light, and was very happy with it. After doing extensive research on different brands; weighing the pros and cons of each, I decided to purchase the 10 watt Scula Hydro Light from DiveSafety Technical and Rebreather Dive Training, Maryland and Virginia at a cost of $475 US (shipping included) .

Let me first start off by saying that I have no vested interest in Hydro Light, or with DiveSafety. I knew of neither prior to a few weeks ago. I ordered the light from DiveSafety about a week ago, and shot the company an email requesting an ETA on the light as my class was rapidly approaching. Within minutes I received a return email indicating that the item was out of stock, but Jeff was contacting the company to see about expediting a light to me. At that point, I thought I was sunk.

Jeff called me and said that the company was waiting on some parts that were mistakenly delivered to the incorrect address, and that they were hunting them down. I explained the urgency in receiving the light, and Jeff quickly called Hydro Light back. The long and the short of it is that Hydro Light dismantled a 25 watt light and scavenged parts to build me a 10 watt, pressure tested, and then overnight shipped it directly to my home address…all at no additional cost to me!

To say the least, I was astonished at the level of service from both DiveSafety and Hydro Light. In this day and age of declining customer service, I strongly believe that I have come across two companies, which in my opinion, are diamonds in the rough. Now, on to the review!

As I stated prior, I purchased the Scula Hydro Light, which is a 10 watt LED primary light. The following items are included with the purchase:
600 Smart Charger
Ambidextrous Glove
Plug Cap
Lens Cover
Spray bottle of EPO2 lubricant
Well written instruction manual
The Pro Kit adds a battery whip, 40, 80, or 120 watt battery pack.
attachment.php

The 40Whr battery increases burn time to 8 hours; the 80Whr to 12 hours, and the 120Whr to 16 hours. Of note, the 40Whr battery is a slim version.

Specs on the light
:
My measurements of the light; Length: 16.5cm, Center diameter: 16.5cm, End cap diameter: 21cm. Approximate weight by my scale: 635 grams.

The body is machined aluminum. The lens is a thick polycarbonate type of material (user replaceable), and both the light ring/battery plug are plastic (this is by design as they will be the first part of the light to break during an impact, also user replaceable). A metal clip is securely attached to the back end of the light to facilitate attachment to a D-ring.

attachment.php

attachment.php

600 lumen (5700°-6200° K color temperature with advanced circuit protection Li-ion battery. Charging is completed through a wet-mateable 10,000 psi bulkhead connector (Yea! No changing batteries!). Both the circuits and battery are fully sealed, and the unit uses a magnetic switch. Depth rating is 183m. Burn time is 4 hours on a full charge.
attachment.php

All Hydro Lights are pressure tested to 152m for a minimum of 3 hours prior to shipping. The testing includes three one hour “dives” to 152m. Documentation of testing certification is shipped with each light.

I just took delivery of the light this morning, and setup was nothing more than plugging the light in to charge.

First impressions
:
Spending $475 US on a product that I’ve never physically touched was somewhat frightening. Honestly, my first thought was “Wow, this is larger than I thought it would be”. For whatever reason, I figured that it would be smaller than the 25 watt simply because it was “only 10 watts”. Not exactly logical, but none the less... This thought quickly faded when I realized that I was holding a truly well-built piece of equipment. Every bit of this light screams quality, strength, and longevity. Like any typical third grader, the first thing I did was turn the light on and shine it in my eyes (must be a guy thing). As hard as it might be to believe, this was not one of my brighter ideas (pardon the pun). I could have simply stepped out on the deck of the house and looked directly into the sun, which would have produced roughly the same results. Well, that might be somewhat of an exaggeration, but for a 10 watt, it’s darn bright and I’m still seeing spots.

The neoprene glove is well constructed, and fits my hand perfectly with a 5mm glove on. Dry, it appears to hold the light in place without slipping, even when turning the light on/off.

Speaking of turning the light on/off, there’s nothing worse than having one activate itself when the switch is bumped up against something (my Intova does this all the time). I believe that Murphy’s Law dictates that lights shall self-activate only when the diver can’t actually see them. When they are in a dive bag, or a BC pocket, for example.

The Scula is turned on/off by rotating a bezel at the trailing edge of the light. The “center” position is ON, and the bezel can be turned either clockwise, or anticlockwise one quarter turn to deactivate. In each position, you will feel a definitive “click” when engaged. The bezel feels as if it is in a ball bearing race (bezel is made of machined aluminum). I highly doubt that this light will be self-activating. It’s easy to use with thick gloves.

attachment.php

I don’t have any fancy testing equipment, and I don’t plan on letting the light burn for 4 hours on a bench to test battery longevity for the sake of testing purposes. But, I will report back on how the light performs underwater.

I did pull out my camera to run a side-by-side test against my current LED light; an Intova wide angle. I know it’s not really a fair test, but my only other lights are by Oxycheq. The photos were shot with a Canon Rebel XSi at approximately 3m. The Scula is on the left, and the Intova on the right.

attachment.php

Summary:
I understand that this is an incomplete review, but will continue to make additions to this thread as I use the light. Externally, this is a well-built light. I would hope that the internals live up to my expectations. Due to the weight of the light, I might have to alternate which hand I carry the light so as not to end up with one arm looking like Popeye (Joke! I’m sure I will get used to it, and it’s really no big deal when you consider that I’ll be carrying steel double 95’s, and slinging two 40’s). I believe that I will be happy with the 10 watt v.s. the 25 watt, but only time will tell. If my premonitions are correct, I will be ecstatic with my latest purchase.

You can check out the Hydro Light at Titan Dive Gear, and the best price I could find was at DiveSafety.net. Tell Jeff that I sent you to him. It won’t do either of us any good, but maybe he will sign up as a vendor here at SB.
Titan Dive Gear - SCULA

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 1,011
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 930
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 1,028
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 991
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 913
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 927
I've dove with the light for the last two weekends and love it!

Both weekends were in cold water (quarries) at moderate depths, and the viz was anywhere from horrible to about 6m. For most of the dives, it was pitch-black at about 10m.

My perceptions of the weight were completely unfounded. Honestly, I hardly noticed it at all.

The light provided excellent illumination in all conditions. This weekend I did 3 dives for a total of 219 minutes. I did not notice any fluctuations in light intensity, nor did I need to recharge the light.

I really liked the ability to activate the light by turning the ring in either direction. The glove holds the light in place, but appears to only come in one size. Despite wearing 5mm gloves (dry gloves are on my list as the next purchase), the glove is a little too large for me. I've got the Velcro strap almost as tight as it will go before running out of hook-and-loop.

Incidentally, I dove with 3 Tech instructors, and all of them had the 25W Scula's. Man, were those lights bright! As I understand it, the 25W has 2 settings so it doesn't need to burn at full blast all the time. Needless to say, and I have to admit, I now have 25W envy. This is not to say that I find the 10W to be insufficient. Must just be a "guy thing". :D

In conclusion, I'm very pleased with my purchase. Thus far the Scula has exceeded my expectations, and suits my current needs. Would I like it to be brighter? Sure, but at this price point, it's a fantastic light.

On a side note, Jeff, from DiveSafety emailed me several times, and even called me to see how I was getting on with the light. That's what I call going above and beyond in terms of customer service.

CORRECTION:

I just found out, through Jeff at DiveSafety, that Scula does make a smaller glove, which is being sent to me.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom